Starting meds

Hi again. So after hubby’s diagnoses a few weeks ago we have received a letter to say he has to start on medication. We where hoping it wouldn’t be this soon. He is starting on one madapor tablet per day and increasing every 2 weeks to 3 tablets a day. Any advice on when to take it for best results?? Reading the side effects is scary so, any feedback would be appreciated x

Hi @Shonab,

I’m sorry that you haven’t heard from anyone as yet.

Parkinson’s affects everyone differently and this is also true for the medication which is being used to manage the symptoms. However, some of our members have shared theirs views on this before and have shared tips on the best time to take madapor - I’ve found a thread that may be useful to you here: When isthe best time to take Madopar and here: Just diagnosed

We also have a lot of helpful information on the Parkinson’s UK website on madapor which I would encourage you and your husband to read. You can find this here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/parkinsons-drugs

Lastly, you can give our confidential helpline a call and speak to one of our advisers for more information and support on this. Give us a call on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

A good time to take them is about an hour before you want to be in the ON mode so take tablet at 7am it will take approx 1 hr to start working so by 8am the pd meds should be working so they are normally a 4 hr time scale So takes roughly a hour to start working and starts wearing off about the 3hr to 3 and half hour ,So the best time is say 8am if you want to be in the ON mode 8.30 to 9.00 am then take another say 12pm as your 8am tablet will be wearing OFF but 12pm should start working so you keep dopamine in your body.Its a very hard as every body is different only the person taking them will know it’s down to trial and error, your know when it is right

1 Like