starting on Madopar aged 89

Dad (89) is on week two of his introduction to Madopar, which I’m helping him with. I feel we maybe didn’t get enough information on how to do this. Just the dosage and when to uplift it, and that it shouldn’t be taken less than an hour before meals. Its been a bit trial and error. Ive been researching on line and now trying to ensure it is taken at about the same time everyday. He has to increase his dose every 3rd day. I’m finding on the 2nd day after an uplift his symptoms seem to escalate. He is on omeprazole and alendronic acid too, which Im a bit concerned may interfere with the levadopa.

Neurologist was seen 4th Jan and said will refer to a Parkinson’s Nurse but not heard from them yet. Sadly I suspect our rural location will be against us. I havent been able to access an altzheimers nurse for my mum either.

Hi Amanda

Sounds like you’ve got a lot on your hands.

Madopar is best taken on an empty stomach. So at least an hour after a meal, and then nothing to eat after taking Madopar for at least half an hour.

Protein interferes with its action, so a low-protein meal is the best option.

thank you

Hi for your info there is a useful book on kindle amazon, that explains everything you need to know, it’s called the new Parkinson’s treatment
Book covers all you need know.

thank you very much Lar