Staying Awake

I am 52 and have lived with PD for 4 years. I have difficulty getting more than 4-5 hours sleep a night but have coped through day-time naps. Recently I have experienced deep drowsiness during evenings and have fallen asleep in mid conversation - very embarrassing. Is this common? Interesting to hear from anyone who has suffered the same and if they found a way to control it,. 

Hello May  you never

Wellcome, unfortunately  this is one of the most common effects of parky  sleep disturbances have plagued me since the mid 90s and  I have just adapted, I often sit on my computer until the early hrs as I  cant sleep  , I catch up through the day and I just  explain to friends or family that I dont feel well and take my leave they all understand and are not offended in any way.

May I wish you a peacefull night

Kindest Regards               Fed

Hello may you never

Sudden sleep onset is one of those truly joyful parky things. It can be both a symptom and a side effect of some meds. And when you are not sleeping well, it can be simple tiredness! I've been on this journey for nearly 4 years now, Are you taking Requip by any chance? I got upto 14mgs with no bad side effects and then started dropping off anywhere and everywhere.

If you have a pd nurse, phone them and tell what is happening.

good luck

Mosie

Mine is just tiredness I think, Ive had sleep disturbances my whole life ( honestly think ive never slept through a night) and I have adjusted to a certain degree but its been harder lately, especially having to get up for work, I was sooo close to nodding off at work yesterday, so awkward! I cant suggest much about staying awake but i make sure I go to bed a similar time every day, even if I dont feel like it, if relaxation techniques work for you give them a try too. Good luck x

Mine is just tiredness I think, Ive had sleep disturbances my whole life ( honestly think ive never slept through a night) and I have adjusted to a certain degree but its been harder lately, especially having to get up for work, I was sooo close to nodding off at work yesterday, so awkward! I cant suggest much about staying awake but i make sure I go to bed a similar time every day, even if I dont feel like it, if relaxation techniques work for you give them a try too. Good luck x