Still coming to terms with mums late diagnosis and passing

My mum was taken into a&e back in April with a urine infection (an infection the docs knew about) and then got diagnosed with what they thought was DIP. We knew her health had been deteriorating over the last few years but the gp who she would have a routine review with for her mental health just said it was down to osteoporosis and her mental health :frowning: fast forward 3 months stuck in hospital and my mum deteriorated further , initially responding well to medication that she should have been on a long time ago but towards the end it was clear it wasn’t DIP at all. We were very mislead by her doctor and even those in hospital who I had to fight so much with to even get any tests done for my poor mum.
I now feel so lost that this has happened and I know In a way it was good she never knew what was really wrong but I can’t shake that she never got to come home and was so anxious and scared in the hospital. I wish she’d known why she had been like she had the last few years and that she could have been given the right medication to improve her health instead of struggling :cry:
Luckily I contacted the local hospice where they cared for mum in her final week and we were all there with her when she passed. I cannot fault st barnabas at all who made her time there as comfortable as possible. I just wondered if anyone had been through anything similar? We were still never sure if it was pd but maybe another neurological condition , my mum was too far gone to have the mri and when it was offered she was too scared to have it :frowning:
Thanks for listening x

Hello Dee I am sorry to see you are going through such anguish following your mother’s passing. Whatever the rights and wrongs of her care she is at peace now. You may wish it different but that won’t change it, you may choose to raise complaints or questions over her care it won’t bring her back but may help you come to terms with all that has happened only you can decide that… All I want to say is hang on in there, the title of your post says it all. How you find peace with it will be a path only you will know and there is no right or wrong way only your way. However one thing is without doubt, you did the best you could and your mother would have known that and loved you for it. That’s what matters. So be kind to yourself , do what feels right to you and when you are ready you will smile again. Take care

1 Like

Hi @Dee83,

First of all, I just want to extend my deepest condolences to you and your family. I’m happy to see that @Tot has responded to your post with some heartwarming advice and I just want to let you know that we’re here for you too. You may find it difficult to talk to family members or friends, or prefer to discuss matters with a trained counsellor or with someone who has a similar experience of Parkinson’s to you. As such, we have a lot of information on our website on emotional support which I think will be very helpful to. We have a list of support centres, religious groups and counsellors which you can find here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/emotional-support-and-counselling.

Our helpline and Parkinson’s local advisers are here to support you so please give us a call us on 0808 800 0303.

Do take care.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words x

Thank you xx

1 Like