Stopping working

I am finding it increasingly difficult to carry on working and really worry about having to stop working with regard to income.  I was working full time then the middle of last year cut down to four days and now am trying to work three days but to be honest this is getting to be a real struggle at the moment and I don't really know how long I can keep pushing myself.  I find that the days I work by the early afternoon my whole body seems to ache and shake, I cannot walk easily or even in a straight line and going upstairs is so difficult and I feel so tired that I constantly fall asleep in the middle of the evening. I really don't know what to do or even where to go or who to see regarding the financial side of losing my income if I decide that I cannot summon both the energy or the will power to continue going to work and this is getting me down.  Has anyone else faced this problem?  

Thanks for any advice



    i went through the same do you claim pip or old dla this benifit is not work related ,as for finishing work you have to get signed of sick & claim esa your employer will give you details how to do this ,the best thing to do and i repeat this is get in touch with your parkinsons support worker she or he will help you fill forms in and get the benefits your entitled to.

go to top of page click  support for you fill in postcode for your local pdsw


How and when to stop working is one of the most important decisions that anyone diagnosed with Parkinsons while employed has to make. I recently made that decision to stop based on the fact of how I felt, both physically and mentally, my financial situation and from taking the advice of others. Although I am physically probably quite capable of doing some work, mentally I am totally exhausted and if I was quite honest I would be a liability for any employer. My last day of work is at the end of March and both my employer and I have come to an agreement where upon I will leave on grounds of capability due to my ill health. I'm sure everyone is different and every employer might take a different stance on the situation (not withstanding any legal obligations that your employer has).
The advice that I would give is if you feel that your quality of life would improve if you were not working, if the sums add up (benefits+pension+savings+other income) and if you have the support of others then go for it. If you feel that you can't go on any longer then don't hesitate, see your doctor and go sick, SSP and ESA should soon follow. If you are off on long term sick a situation would eventually be reached where they could dismiss you on grounds of capability. However, to avoid this long drawn out process your employer might be willing to come to some compromise agreement with you where you could leave sooner provided that this did not put you at a disadvantage financially. Seek professional advice on this, if you are in the Union that's a good start.

Finally, as Gus says, don't hesitate to call your local support worker, I have found them caring, supportive and can put you in touch with the right people if you need specialist advice, especially in regards of getting the benefits that you are entitled.

Hope some of the above helps and good luck


Joy, Flyem is spot on speak to Parkinsons UK a support worker and benefits advisor and union about ill health retirement. Type in what you want in the search above there is loads of info on the forum,good luck


This is a long shot, but ask your employer if they have a Critical Illness insurance policy in place - sometimes PD is covered.  Also ask if they have a Permanent Health insurance policy.

My employer had both in place and every day, I thank God.


My husband stopped working over a year ago due to his Parkinsons becoming worse,he is 56 and has no pension for a good few years yet.I work full time and we have a bit in savings.Would my husband be entitled to any benifits at all.We have never claimed anything ever.   K

Hi tillysdad,

As others have mentioned, the best thing would be to ask your Parkinson's local adviser (you can find your nearest one here: or call our helpline for advice on 0808 800 0303 (lines open Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm). Our advisers will be able to tell you whether your husband is entitled to any benefits and discuss your options with you.

Best wishes,

Moderation team.

tillysdad     PIP and ESA are not means tested. ESA is based on your husbands NI contributions and PIP is based on what your husband can and cant do. But yes phone up PDUK and theres lots of help, do not fill in any forms yourself a support worker from PDUK will do it with you

                     Good luck.....Billy

Hi all

After having PD for 14 years, I decided that i would retire after working for an extra year after my retirement date (so I could claim the extra money).

I gave my notice in and worked around this date, shredding papers galore so no-one else would have to do it.       I was given a lovely send off - 44 people signed my cards  and was given a lovely present that I will always treasure.

I 'm not going to worry about money and all the other horrible things that might come up and n the future but it's now a year since I retired and I don't think I have missed one day of going to work since then! 

Hope all can be happy in their retirement.

Best wishes