Stress everywhere

Hi All
Yeh, agree with all that's been said about stress and anxiety. Knowing that it's all in the mind (sorry!) doesn't reduce how real and debilitating it can become. The littlest things can set me off and exacerbate my tremor: carrying a cup of tea across a room, making a phone call, having to talk to people I've only just met... I am trying to break the cycle with cognitive behavioural therapy. It's helping, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has an practical advice on how to stop the anxiety spiralling out of control?
djemm
Hello All,

I get very emotional while reading here, as it is difficult to find people, other than my partner, to "talk" to about worries, fears, and other daily stresses. My PD partner has been doing much better - mentally. Me, too.

Knowing that such small things (in my mind)could set him off is a real help.

We,too,have been doing a lot of "traditional male chores" together. It takes him longer, and he gets discouraged by what he can no longer do, but is also quite proud to demonstrate his know-how. Plus,I'll eventually be able to do a lot of these tasks, too.

Thank you once again for all the eye openers.

Germany
Hi,
It seems I am stressed all the time at the moment. I'm sitting here crying thinking another day to get through.Unfortunatly I dont get support from my partner(in fact the opposite).My partners favourite saying is do your job.he reminds me he goes to work and gets the money,my job is to do the rest.I have 3 kids,being the summer hols it is hard.one of my kids has adhd and aspergers,his nearly 14,I know its hard not having the routine of school,not having friends upsets him.I wake up thinking what can we do special today that he will enjoy and help his self esteem.Park and woods out he has a big phobia of dogs.Went swimming,bowling and cinema last week but everything is so expensive.Last week he has had knives out nearly set fire to door,locked us out of house,turned power off,deleted programmmes on laptop.I have thought of making a chart saying what we are doing and when,problem is pd kicks in I get slower, takes longer to get jobs done.feel tired With a chart makes life harder if don't manage to keep to it.This last week I've spent most of it in tears,even due to stress threw up in sainsbury's.I have had to double my sinemet,which I really didn't want.scared so much of higher dose and side effects in future.
Well off to tackle the morning,I know I shouldnt moan Ive got 3 lovely kids,but im finding live so b..... hard at the moment.
Take care Dot xx
Dot, it's sounds like you're really having a hard time and no wonder you're crying. Can you not get any help elsewhere? If you want to pm me please do. Carol
Dotty ,
Been thinking of you since you posted this morning.
Hope the day went better than the onset.
Just wish there was a way I could help you :disappointed:

Try and keep your spirits up even when it's difficult.

NCN
Dear Dotty,
You must be one of the bravest women I know! - How do you cope with your three "terrors", plus non-understanding husband?
You still have time to help others on here whenever you can!
I take my non - existent hat off to you. (Well, I would, but my bald head would get either sunburned or cold!!!)
Hope you will be feeling better again soon. Hope you get a giggle out of this rubbish too!
All good wishes.

Vic.:laughing:
Oh Dotty,
I haven't looked at forum for a while, I just thought, I wonder if Dotty is still posting, I will take a look.
I am sorry you are having such a difficult time again. You appeared to be doing a lot better when I last read your postings. Always offering good advice to others.
I am not surprised you feel like crying, I'm a chap not normally that way inclined, but if I had to cope with as much as you I would be crying all day.
I don't know about stress, but all I can do is concentrate on one subject at a time. If I have more than that nothing ever gets done. I will still begin a job thinking, this won't take me long. Of course I am thinking how long it would take me ten years ago.
Like someone else on this thread, I laid a laminate floor, but it was in my daughters house. As you know she lives in your part of the woods, and about 40 miles from me. She only wanted it in a small bedroom, I thought I will do that in a day. Easy Peasy ( as I used to hear the kids say. I have spent 2 Sundays there already and I still have the edging to fit. It is just as well the room wasn't being used.
I can never find the tool I was using a minute before. I am sure they go and hide up the minute I put them down.
There is magic going on somewhere, there must be. Last week I could not find the pencil I had been using, I cleared every thing up in the room, no tools or off cuts on the floor, the tidiest it had looked for hours. I still couldn't find the pencil. I asked my wife to see if she could see it any where. I told her it has to be here somewhere, I haven't been any where else since I last used it. I showed her I wasn't holding it in my hand, and it wasn't behind my ear, the usual place for it.
Neither of us could find it. So she went in search of another one.
She gave me a lot longer pencil which I used. The next time I began marking a board I found I was marking it with the short pencil I had been looking for.
Would you believe it, I don't remember picking it up or if it jumped into my hand.
Is there any one else who find that they can now unknowingly, perform these feats of magic.

The story is true, it is related to see if it will add a little relief to your hectic life.

Dotty, you are heading for a nervous breakdown if something doesn't change. What good are you going to be to your family then. Is that the only thing that will convince them that they have to give a little assistance to you. It may take another person with Parkinsons
to talk to your husband so that he can understand, but it would have to be a chance meeting. Otherwise he would think it was a set up.

When I was working I used to get problems with my supervisor. That was until he met another person with Parkinson's, who he had obviously discussed the symptoms with.
He then realised that I wasn't being awkward, and his whole attitude to me changed for the better. Or may be it was some of my magic again.
Hi Carol.NCN and Vic.
Getting your replies has cheered me up,good knowing people care.I'm sorry for moaning, know everyones got their problems.I have 3 lovely kids and still able to do things with them :grin:Feeling bit better at the moment,could have something to do with everyone else is asleep lol.
Vic you did make me smile thanks.
Take Care Dot xx
Hi kvell,
I've missed your posts,what a lovely surprise when checking mine posted I spotted yours.You are right hubby doesnt understand how parkinsons effects us,your right again if someone spoke to him he would think a set up.I was feeling very low this morning,feeling better now.I have been very close to a break down before.Unfortunately even before I got parkinsons I suffered with depression for a while.If how I feel doesn't improve in next few days I will visit GP again.I have a neuro appointment early in september also,so not far away.
Hope Sunday goes well,maybe a florescent pencil might help.I'm like you lose every thing.Don't forget to give me a yell when passing.
Hope things going ok,think you were having problems with neck or back in your last post.
Take Care Dot xxx
HI Dot, here i am, cant sleep! Kvell's right, you do need help, emotional and physical. why dont you go to your GP or have you a PD nurse. dont like to tell you what to do but your husband needs to help you/understand how you feel. is there a support group you can go to for aspergers in your area? sorry just throwing ideas about here, hope things get better
Thanks Carol,I went with hubby to a get together a couple of years ago with a different forum.He enjoyed it and I thought came back with some understanding.Met some lovely people there.Unfortunately it didn't last long,I guess stress and pressures he has to cope with to effect him.Its not easy for partners I know but a caring word or a hug would make a difference.
There are activities that my son can go to but he wont go places without me,I started taking kids to play tennis at local sports centre which is going well and free.
Hope you manage some sleep,Take Care Dot xxx
im so stressed at the moment got alot on me plate,has anyone got any good ideas to make me self relax,im taking one day at a time at the moment but it still real hard.xx.
Hi Alij, I have been thinking of you alot. No wonder you are stressed at the moment. Do you like listening to music? I find music really helps me. In fact, I had hardly any sleep last night and felt quite stressed so I put radio on. It certainly helped. Take care. Jem xxx
I have been trying to formulate a comprehensive post for this thread for some days now, and finding it very difficult to do. I hope this does all make sense when I finally click the post button!

Reading the first two posts in the thread, from Wife and Carrot, was a breath of fresh air – much of what was said could have been about me. So it’s not just me being idle, stupid or just plain ignorant after all!

I rarely feel stressed; I just shut my mind to things that would make me so. My wife has assumed all of the day to day tasks in running the house; she tries to include me in decision making, like which energy company we should use, but I don’t want to know. I cannot make any sense of these companies’ tariffs – their information may as well be in Chinese for all it means to me. So she has taken over totally. The same is true with the kids. There have been some challenges with their schooling, which she has had to cope with alone. She tries to keep me informed, and I try to understand, but I think she is of the opinion that I don’t really care any more. Conversation detail will largely be forgotten within minutes – concentration on complicated matters can be a real struggle and I find my mind just shuts down. I can imagine my eyes just glaze over as I listen – nodding occasionally and grunting my agreement now and again trying to appear a part of the conversation.

I have never been the world’s best at doing the menial things in life, like form filling and such like. When I was self employed it was always a nightmare keeping my books up to date, so I just assumed I was getting lazier now, since I find it much easier to ignore my mail, and leave that irritating job until tomorrow. Just can’t get my mind round that just now. And so it goes on, day after day.

It doesn’t end there though. Even things I want to do - would enjoy doing – end up not being done, or at least take ages of thinking about before actually being done. I have great difficulty planning anything now, whether it be a day out or a garden project or something similar. I love creating things – I have a couple of useful ‘inventions’ in use now and quite a few ideas which will probably remain as ideas!

This last week has been spent alone – my family have been away on a friend’s narrowboat on the canal. I could go too, but don’t want to since I find the boat too cramped for my 6’5” height. Apart from one walk down to the village shop yesterday, I haven’t been off the property in a week. I had planned a trip to town, just for a look round, but when the time came I couldn’t be bothered – I’d go tomorrow instead. The family is due back today sometime – I still haven’t been anywhere.

I am fortunate that visitors do not cause me concern – all are welcome! I am not keen on the phone, although I am happy to receive calls from people I know. I’m not too good at making calls, and positively loathe making calls to ‘officialdom’, much preferring to email. Part of this is because I don’t hear brilliantly – if there is ambient noise I cannot filter it out – also my memory is so bad I’ll forget most of it anyway! Note taking is nigh on impossible – well not the taking so much as reading it afterwards!

I do not like crowds, but then I never have. I don’t like strange places much, but again that’s not new. Most of my ‘faults’ now pre-date PD; they are just worse – unless PD started long before I realised it, and these were the first symptoms. I just don’t know any more, whether it’s PD messing me up or I really am a lazy, unmotivated waste of space suffering from an acute case of excusitis.

Any comments welcome – don’t spare my feelings!

For those that don’t know me – male 56 yrs; married – 2 boys 15 and 17 still at home. PD first symptoms noticed 1994 – dx in 2000. Currently taking Madopar – first dose 125 mg followed by 62.5 mg every 2 hours or so. Selegilene, Ropinorole and Mirapexin all tried with no visible effect. Little tremor – right side stiffness and rigidity the biggest physical problem – which the Madopar relieves quite effectively.

Best wishes to all

Peter.
I am bloody stressed now, as I have just spent the best part of an hour writing something to put on here, just as I posted it, site wanted to veriy my log on and bought me back to an empty screen GRRRRRR
Boswanga,

Give your stress wings and let it fly away.

EEEEEEEEEEEEk :flushed: you are probably even more stressed out knowing I posted this and all in one go !

Nigel.:stuck_out_tongue:
Having been caught out before, just as Boswanga was, I now write longer posts in Word - saving as I go, and then copy and paste onto the post form. Saves a lot of heartache!

Peter.
Re: disappearing posts.

I think this happens because if you take time typing a post, the site programming login system signs you out (time out), so this is why you have to sign in again. But if you back click (using the back to previous page arrow-top left corner)until you see your post appear and then click on post, your reply should then successfully post. It's never failed me yet.

Cutiepie
Sorry forgot to say you have to sign in and then go back to previous page until your post appears and then post.
You can save what you've written so far at any time, simply by dragging the cursor over the required text and then hitting CTRL/C.

If anything then goes wrong you can re-enter the saved data with CTRL/V.

Cosmic.