Struggling

I know this sounds very selfish, and it’s not me with Parkinson’s, it’s my husband, but does anyone else feel like they are struggling being a carer? It feels like I can’t do anything for myself, or go anywhere because I have to be here at home all the time with him. We don’t go out anywhere apart from to medical appointments and holidays seem to be a thing of the past. I just want my old life back and can’t bear the thought of what is to come.

1 Like

Hi @Redjune1, :wave:

I’m really sorry to hear this, however, you are not alone as you’ll see in our ‘carers’ section. It’s not uncommon for people affected by Parkinson’s, whether you have the condition or you’re a carer, to grieve their old life.

We have a lot of helpful information on our website to help and support carers like yourself and I would encourage you to check it out. You can also download our carers guide which looks at issues that may affect you. It offers practical help and advice, whether you provide care and support for someone who has recently been diagnosed, or someone who has been living with Parkinson’s for a while. You can find this guide here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-09/B071%20The%20carer’s%20guide%20WEB.pdf

As well as the community here whom I’m sure you’ll hear from soon with their words of advice, we offer free support services to offer a range of different ways you can connect with other people.

Lastly, if you’d like to speak to someone in more detail about what you’re currently going through, you are always welcome to contact our free helpline service and speak to an adviser who’d be more than happy to support you further on this.

Do take care and I hope you find the information above useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Dear Redjune. Yes this sounds very familiar . I care for my husband too and its hard work with not a moment to yourself. I really don’t have an answer for you as I’m still looking for one myself. I just wanted to connect with you to say that you are certainly not alone and I’m here if you ever need a chat.
Best wishes to you. X