Swallowing problem

My father is suffering from parkinson from past 10 years. We admitted him to the hospital last month as he had psychosis and hallucinations at home . He refused to eat and take medicines and was trying to end his life. Doctors told us that he is suffering from pnemonia. He was admitted through emergency and doctors used some sedation to relax him. His body was not responding to parkinson medicines later on. He had undergone tracheostomy surgery. Thankfully he has recovered now. Infection has been treated and movements are good . But swallowing test is failing and he is unable to eat food. Its very depressing to see that he is asking for food but we cannot give him. Speech therapist told us that he had cleared level one but food particles were going into the lungs.They will do the test again after 3 days. Can anybody tell me what is problem and how it can be solved? PLEASE HELP

hello bhumi

sorry to hear this about your dad,i suggest you phone parkinsons help line at top page.sorry i can not suggest anything else,i hope he gets well !

Hi Bhumi,

I'm so sorry to read about the difficult time your father has been through.

We have some information about swallowing problems here: http://bit.ly/1OUVpvJ

As gus already mentioned, please do give us a ring on 0808 800 0303 (Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm) if you'd like to discuss your father's situation.

Best wishes,

Ilona (Moderation Team).