Swimming

Anyone out there had axperience of deterioration of their swimming.
I have always been a reasonable swimmer but last year I found that after diving in the pool I could not get my feet to work with my arms. Going on holiday to Thailand at the end of the month and wonder whether I will have the same trouble. Any advice from you swimmers out there
Regards
Chunky
Hello Chunky,

Sorry no advice as my husband found he couldn't swim quite soon after being diagnosed due to getting the arms and legs working and he would sink, he only goes in a therapy pool now at the nursing home. I am sure you will find some help on here so good luck and enjoy your holidays.
best wishes
vivian
Hello Chunky, I used to be an enthusiastic, regular swimmer.Not the fastest - slow but sure. I used to love the feel of the water . But then quie suddendly I lost confidence - I did not trust my arms to or legs to propell me through the water. I was lucky enough to have a good friend who understoood and swam by me , at my own pace.
I now no longer swim - not enough muscle power. My advice for what it is worth is to let somebdy know that you may have a problem and ask if they could kindly keep an eye on you. Otherwise , enjoy your holiday in Thailand . I am sure that you will find other things to do.
Best wishes
stay in the shallow end or within reach of the side!!! as well as unco-ordination there is cramp. personally, i wouldnt swim of a boat without flotation devices.
Hi,

Try just kicking on its own first and then gradually introduce your arms into the stroke again. If this doesn't work, just do pull with a pullbuoy but definitely get someone to keep an eye on you or stay near the side until you feel more confident. If you can just focus on one thing that is the best thing to do and then
try to focus on the next action bringing them together. Hope this helps.

Marion
I have the same problem. UNtil 6 years ago I used to challenge myself on my birthday to swim (slowly) my age in 50 metre lengths. I can't believe it now. I have some days though when I do much better than others so on good days I swim, staying in reach of the side of the pool, for as long as I can; perhaps 15 x 25 meter lengths. On bad days I stand in the deep end and do legraising exercises etc for 5 mins in between doing a couple of lengths.

I'm a snorkeller on holiday. I find that in a wet suit in salt water I can easily float on my back for a bit if I feel 'wobbly'. Wet suits aid flotation without making you feel daft. Also wearing flippers means I only have to move my legs very gently to get a reasonable movement which helps loads. Watching the serenity of the fish is fantastically healing.

It is a loss not to be able to swim as before though.
I had trouble swimming when I was fist diagnosed - arms and legs just didn't want to work. However, once I started taking dopamine things improved quite dramatically:grin: and I can swim pretty much as well as before PD.

Not sure if this helps as don't know what meds you are taking.

Janey
Same here Chunky. I stopped swimming for a year or two after I was diagnosed.
When I got back in the water all my confidence had gone. I just didn't trust my arms and legs to do the right thing. Eventually I joined a group session at my local pool run by a physiotherapist. About a dozen of us, we are a motley crew. People with cerebral palsy, stroke victims, muscular dystrophy, even a guy with no legs. I think I'm the only one with PD. However, that physio did wonders and I can now just about swim a width breast stroke. I think it was a matter of having the confidence as much as not having the strength or suppleness in my limbs. I would say persevere and try to build up your confidence as well as strengthening your limbs.
Hi Guys and Dolls.
Many thanks for all your comments and advice. True what they say about the Forum - whatever the problem, there is always someone out there to help and advise. I'll have another go this year and see if things go better.
Many thanks
Chunky
Hi every one thanks for all your comments i used to be not a bad swimmer but went on holiday last year and found i had lost my confidence i will try again this holiday chris
hello chunky and fellow swimmers out there like you guys I am still a keen swimmer but my stamina..and co..ordination has waned of late which rather cheeses me off..but I have found of late after a yoga ..and definitely a body balance work out ( which is quite physical) I find I almost get up to speed with my swimming the conclusion being that the yoga etc bump starts the nervous system ?? it may be worthwhile checking that out.it would be of interest if anyone else out there finds the same
P.S. I am 6 years post diagnosis and now in my mid sixties

regards to all and do not let Mr P win...Ian (M)
Hi Ian (M)

Do not fancy yoga but anything is worthwhile to fight Mr PD.
I'm 75 on Monday and am celebrating by going to Thailand for three weeks. I will certainly see how my co-ordination is in the pool and hope it is a little better than last year. I did find that a couple of periods of Thai Massage certainly helped my walking. The massage was every other day. This year I will try it every day to see if gives me that extra oomph.
Well all you swimmers out there, keep bashing on and the best of lock to you all
Chunky
Hi. I used to be a reasonable swimmer. I could swim under water for the width of the pool, but when I developed Parkys I lost control of my limbs. My body started to bob about making me feel like a barrel floating here and there. I have got back to swimming and I now use a foam 'Zoggle' tucked under my armpits. This keeps me afloat when I do breast-stroke. It would be worth trying one out. Sometimes my legs float upwards in front, then I just get someone to push them down again, not very dignified but there we are. I find backstroke is easier to do.