Swollen feet and ankles

Having finally had a bit of success with a new drug (amantadine) I find that it has caused swelling of my feet And ankles quite badly with mottling of the skin.  My GP has given me water tablets which I understand, will make my light headiness worse.  I would be interested to know if anyone else experienced oedema of this nature and how you got rid of it.

I have some oedema ankles and lower legs,  I wear flight socks which do seem to help but appreciate may not be the most comfortable in this hot weather. When sitting have a wee foot stool. 

I have swelling in my feet,  I am also on amantadine.  Never thought about the connection between amantadine and swelling but the internet is chock-a-block with information of a positive relationship. However, amantadine took away my tremor and I would rather have swollen feet than live with that daemon tremor.

The swelling does not interfere with my activities and I only learned that my feet were swollen when my wife commented, rather delicately, that my feet "look a little bloated."

Such charm!

Hi

I went to go out the other week and choose to wear boots, one of the pair seemed a little more snug than it used too be, I guess trainers are lower on the ankle and with boots being higher. I am not on said drug, i thought it might be down too off dystonia in the mornings, or i'm just odd.

I am , as stated taking amantadine and although helping with walking I find that despite lowering the dose I still have swollen feet and ankles which get worse as the day goes on,  I also have incredible mottling of my skin from ankles to knees which looks distinctly unattractive.  Does anyone know if it is safe to continually have swollen ankles and feet??? 

Hi,

I was wondering about this too. Like Sea Angler, I'm not on Amantadine but I do get a swollen foot and swollen toes on my dodgy side (I also get foot dystonia on this side). I am on ropinerole and think this can be a side effect but would it only cause a problem on one side? I've just been on holiday and the heat seemed to cause it to swell a lot more. Apart from the vanity aspect (and not being able to get one shoe on)  I've no idea at what point (or if) I should be concerned.  J 

Hi Moonandstars and Jackson,

Swollen feet and ankles can have a lot of potential different causes, I would really suggest you call our helpline (0808 800 0303) or speak to your Parkinson's nurse about it.

Best wishes,
Alethea
Digital Team

my wife has swollen feet since taking Rasagiline