Symptoms following surgery

Hi all,

My mother had total left hip replacement about 4 years ago and the right maybe 2 years ago.  The PD affects her left side, consultant says prosthetic is ok, physio says range of moment is too although she suffers with tight and sore muscles.  More recently her right 'knock' knee is quite painful.

We noticed what their saying is dystonia in her left foot following the left hip replacement.  It's difficult to know if the op was the cause or if it's a coincidence dystonia developed post op.

I know dystonia can affect the same side as PD and it usually starts in the foot or neck.  I wonder if it's possible for a big op like this to 'stir things up'?  As PD affects communication with the body, is it feasible to imagine an operations toll on the body further worsening symptoms?

Last we were told it is a rare form of PD as she does not benefit as much as hoped from medication.  Feels like I'm clutching at straws you can't see looking online and trying to make sense of things these past few years.  Wording it several different way through search engines.

Hi Parkpost,

I don't know if there is any direct correlation between a big operation and worsening symptoms. I guess that the operation isn't going to make things better. A period of reduced mobility may also take it's toll. Alternatively it may just be a coincidence. 

If you are worried about symptoms it is certainly worth talking to your Parkinson's nurse or neurologist. It may be worth trying to see a physiotherapist with experience in Parkinson's. If those avenues don't lead you anywhere you could call the helpline. The friendly advisers there can point you in the right direction.

I'm sorry I can't be more help

EF

Thank you for the reply EF, I have been meaning to check in much sooner but things have been quite rough.  We had what looks like mum's last physio appointment for the time being.  The physio has experience in parkinsons, says mum is doing her exercise right but looks to be getting no benefit.  As they can only prescribe exercise there's nothing more that can be offered.  They suggested CBT, distraction (put music on and dance? !!) and made a point on relaxation to tackle anxiety.

They seemed to suggest mum was anxious, focussing on pain too much, as she paces the floor a lot and can't stay still for long. For me it's surely her pain and discomfort that have her pacing the floor.  Any chronic health problem would cause emotional distress. I know focussing on a problem makes it harder to cope but regardless it's still there.  I wish more people who don't live with chronic pain would appreciate that.

We won't be seeing the Parkinsons nurse or consultant often as she has not responded well to Sinemet.  There's nothing more they can do, we're told it's not MSA but a rare form of parkinsons.

I've had a relaxation tape, do try to break up the day but it's not easy as I've had chronic pain and fatigue myself for 20+ years.  We're on our own most of the time and it's getting more difficult so I really don't know what the answer is going forward.  Seeing mum looking vulnerable and crying in pain breaks my heart.  Her back and legs seem worse lately.

Take care