The first 12 months after diagnosis

Hi all
I was diagnosed in April last year and thought I was coping ok.

A close friend of mine has just very diplomatically pointed out to me that since diagnosis and starting my medication (Levodopa) I have become noticeably more impulsive which it having a negative effect on my life and those around me.

Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if I need to see a counsellor or life coach to help me come to terms with the PD diagnosis.

What a wonderful friend you have, so many shy away from addressing such issues that we are not always aware of even if we think we are, and good for you for having the courage and open minded approach to take it on board. For some reason I can’t get a link at the moment but the Parkinson’s uk website has some excellent advice and information or speak to the helpdesk. There are things you can do to manage these once you recognise what the problem actually is in your case. I wish you luck and would add that in my opinion if you can take this on board as you have not taking umbrage and wanting to do something about it, then I think you are coping ok better than ok in fact, I meant every word of my first sentence

Hi RockhopperDee,

We have lots of information about impulsive and compulsive behaviour on our website, which you might find useful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/impulsive-and-compulsive-behaviours-parkinsons

You might also like to try contacting our Helpline, as they’re able to advise on all manner of issues. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

My Parkinson’s nurse and consultant ask every visit if this has been a problem for me, as it can be a side effect of medication. You should definitely let your Parkinson’s nurse know.

Hi @RockhopperDee, Obviously the Levodopa isn’t right for you so I suggest you get on to your Neurologist and explain what has happened and see if they can give you something else that doesn’t have side effects. Taking the drugs is a matter of trial and error until you get something that agrees with you. Keep that close friend on side as they are worth their weight in gold to you at the moment and when you get a different medication, ask them point blank if there is any change in you as their opinion counts.

Les

Hi Tot
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It is much appreciated. Yes, she is a wonderful friend - I am very lucky.
I will take all your advice on board.
Dee

Hi Les
Thank you very much for your wise and kind words. It is very much appreciated. I have a long journey ahead.
Kind regards
Dee

Hi @Skylark1
Thank you very much for your advice. It is much appreciated.
Take care
Dee

@Moderators2
Thank you Owen.