The purpose of this forum

For me, the main reason to become a member of this forum was to learn more about PD from other peoples' first hand experience. This I discovered & to my delight, along the way came some wonderful poetry, some great recipes, spelling corrections, some brain teazers and some innocent, harmless midnight fun.I have gained vaaluable knowledge, been encouraged to think, to exercise & to raise a smile. I had no expectation of developing close, lifelong relationships, nor of making enemies. I believe I have not been disappointed.
I wonder what other posters motivations are?
Mine was simplistic.

Initially to find people who could relate to what o/h was going through and to learn more about the condition. I got far more than that. Empathy, was without doubt the overriding crutch for me.

Not just for o/h, but for myself. Something I hadn't anticipated.

At times it has been heart rending, at others great fun. I have made lifetime friends and some have been so supportive and informative, I owe them a great debt of gratitude.

There have also been bad times. Some things I would like not to have been part of. Surely we are in this together. Not so it has seemed. Judgement is cruel, disbelief worse.
For me the forum's terms and condition in their first sentence set out what this forum was created and designed for.

" The purpose of the forum is to provide users with a positive space in which they can share experiences and exchange views".

I personally joined the forum when the "Mali Jenkins Fund" donated me a PC which, without their funding I would not have been able to use the site.

It's true that often as in any social networking site there are ups and downs, arguments, disagreements and sadly sometimes things get out of control.

At the end of the day I can only say, that I have not always agreed with some of the points of view as I'm sure some have not agreed with mine.

Life is made up of many different opinions,
The very purpose of existence is to reconcile the glowing opinion we hold of ourselves with the appalling things that other people think about us.

Having said this, it would be a sad day if this forum ever closed.
We have all one thing in common, in some form or other Parkinson's effects our lives and the hope that a cure will be found.
ncn.
I can only agree with the previous posts. After I was dx we read everything we could about the condition but these were only words. I 'visited' the forum for many months before I introduced myself and was so pleased with the welcome I received. Now I have found somewhere that I can ask questions and get good advice from those that really know what PD is all about. The forum has also allowed me to have a moan, have a laugh, gives me someone to chat to in the wee small hours of the night when sleep won't come and most of all know that it isn't only me.

I hope that this forum continues to let us all have our say, we don't all necessarily agree but that is life. I value and enjoy the interaction on this site that has and is still evolving from pwp and their carers.
I joined this forum to learn more about PD and especially from other members who have a lot of knowledge to share. A bit of friendly banter along the way has been good and I would also like to say I have made some friends along the way.

The world is full of people with different opinions who should be allowed to express those opinions but when the posts become personal towards other forum members, in my opinion that is overstepping the mark. Why not agree to disagree on some things? It takes a better person to walk away.

Lizzy x
I joined when my husband was diagnosed last year and we felt very much on our own with it.I have learned a lot.Sometimes it scares me but I have had lots of advice.