The Roles of Diet, Exercise, & Supplements in Parkinson’s Disease Progression

Laurie K Mischley ND PhD MPH, Rachel D Bennett MPH, Richard C Lau MPH

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5919381af7e0ab8d479df4b4/t/5942387403596e8a651c57c5/1497512054713/MDS2017+Diet.pdf

Hi AlexJohn,

Very interesting post.

Dave.

Any research based on reports from patients as a baseline and or results is about as reliable or useful as a 1970 Skoda. The format is amateurish and nothing like a standard study. I very much doubt a reputable journal would accept it as a meaningful. 

If the progress of PD depended on diet, I think someone might have noticed by now. 

I have been aware of this work for a while and find it really interesting and thought-provoking.

I think considering the increasing body of evidence that is indicating a link between the gut and the brain, it would be a very brave person who suggested that diet does not have any effect on either the development or progression of PD.  I know in my own experience that what I eat has a significant effect on how well I feel.

I am also particularly frustrated that "reputable" journals have such a bias towards Randomized controlled Trials, most often financed by drugs companies, and fail to take into account studies with a different methodology.  As we also don't have a known method for measuring PD progression I think Dr Mishley's study is a great start for trying to establish where there is a correlation between lifestyle factors and PD progression.  

Personally I will do whatever I can to continue to be what she describes as a "positive deviant" ;-)

Nick

I find this study very reliable in view of the large number of participants.

I need some statistical advice. Should not tai chi go above yoga in importance in view of the figures?

(Use <Control>& "=" to zoom up the pdf)

It is not a “different “ methodology, it is unreliable. Self reporting from participants is fraught with expectation bias. As far as number of participants, we are not told how many. And I note that the supplement melatonin is taken by some of the participants. That is illegal in this country. And above all, we are not told about medication that the participants were taking, or whether any change of medication took place during the study.

I don’t disagree that there is a connection between gut and brain, but that has been shown to be related to the gut biome - the bacteria in the gut - rather than specific foods or supplements.

There is probably a study that could be done to analyse the effect of food and supplements, but this isn’t it. It’s methodologically too shabby.

All I know about this study is that the diet actually works! I can strongly recommend it, although the coenzyme supplement is too expensive for my pocket

I went from ~450m max walking with stops   to ~1.3km with no stops directly after starting the diet. The effect has kept up and I'm definitely going to stick to the diet.

Pity rice and potatoes were not included in the food list.