This may be the answer to why i'm a chocoholic?!

CHOCOLATE CONSUMPTION INCREASED IN PARKINSON'S DISEASE

There is an increased consumption of chocolate in people with Parkinson's Disease. Consumption of non-chocolate sweets was no different from the consumption of other people. The increase in chocolate consumption was not related to the level of depression. Chocolate contains high contents of biogenic amines. Biogenic amines include substances that the brain produces in order to regulate or stimulate brain function. Chocolate also contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are adenosine antagonists. Adenosine antagonists make L-dopa and dopamine more active. So it seems that some people with Parkinson's Disease are unconsciously using chocolate to increase their dopamine activity. Due to its chemistry, and people claiming it has reduced their symptoms, researchers have recently suggested that the effect of chocolate be assessed therapeutically in Parkinson's Disease. Istradefylline, another adenosine antagonist, has already been shown to have effect in Parkinson's Disease.

So boys and girls don't feel guilty when you stuff your face with chococlate.

I've got two lovely boxes of chocalates to devoir that i've had given me for my birthday, mmmmm, yummy!

QT
Is curry good for Parkinson's too because i'm quite partial to a curry, in fact i'd eat curry every day. I wonder if it's because Parkinson's affects our senses.

Qt:wink:
And I was telling OH that too much chocolate was not good for you.

Bulk order in future!
HOORAY!!
Tch tch........:fearful:
What about red wine? Does it mention red wine??????

SallyB

xxx

:grin::wink::grin:
And look what else i find while sipping on a glass of red wine....

IS WINE GOOD FOR YOU?

In moderation and as part of an overall healthy diet, the short answer to is wine good for you is yes! And.......listen to this.........it's meant to slow down the progression of Parkinson's disease! Please read the following, i found it VERY INTERSTING!

Thanks to its alcohol content and non-alcoholic phytochemicals (natural occurring plant compounds), wine has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, certain cancers and slow the progression of neurological degenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease.

However, the amount of wine you drink matters tremendously. Drink more than what’s recommended, your health benefits are lost and your health risks go up.

Here’s what’s considered safe and effective:

Men: No more than two drinks per day.

Women: No more than one drink per day.

One drink is defined as a 5-ounce glass of red or white wine, 12 ounces of regular beer (1 bottle) or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits.

The health benefits of wine
When it comes to wine’s health capabilities, here’s what we know:

It’s been well documented that moderate amounts of alcohol can raise your good cholesterol (HDL-cholesterol) and thin your blood. This is thought to be one of the primary cardiovascular benefits from wine (red and white), as well as hard liquor and beer.

Non-alcoholic phytochemicals in wine, such as flavanoids and resveratrol, act as antioxidants and prevent molecules known as “free radicals” from causing cellular damage in the body. Although some studies which have focused on the health benefits of resveratrol use much greater dosages than you’ll find in an average glass of wine, resveratrol has been shown to prevent blood clotting and plaque formation in arteries by altering lipid profiles and plasma viscosity. Findings from a recent study suggest that resveratrol can produce potent anti-thrombotic agents that can potentially improve cardiovascular health and lower the risk for coronary heart disease. In animal studies, resveratrol reduced tumor incidence by affecting one or more stages of cancer development.

Red wine provides much more resveratrol compared to white. That’s because the longer the skin is kept on the grape during the wine making process, the greater the concentration of resveratrol in the wine. In the case of white wine production, the skin is removed before fermentation, giving white wines a lower concentration in resveratrol compared to red wines. Also, wines made in cooler climates have greater amounts of resveratrol too. Thus, red wine from cool climates have the most resveratrol.

So it looks like from today onwards a glass of red wine and a few squares of chocolate, well maybe a few more:wink:are essential to my diet!

QT ........now wearing an even bigger smile LOL:grin::wink:
I cooked a not very accomplished dinner today for my guests today but the chocolate bread and butter pudding, (cream, butter, sugar, eggs and much 70% CHOCOLATE was very good indeed ...plenty left for a piece each day for a week!!

I had to instruct my family never to buy choc as pressies for me as I eat them all up in a day...fortunately they never listen...thinking of my health I presume!
Hi SF,

Am afraid i'm the same when it comes to chocolate, i just can't leave it alone until it's all gone. Fortunately (or should i say unfortunately) my son Lewis is a choccy monster too and helps me out.

The chocolate bread and butter pudding sounds mega naughty but absolutely to die for. I would be most grateful if you would personal message me the recipe. My mouths watering at the thought, mmmmmm!!!

QT:smile:
I got it from Delia's book but I see it's online... enjoy!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/chocolate-bread-and-butter-pudding,1036,RC.html
I,too am eating lots of lovely chocolate which was intended for the grandchildren. Do not feel as guilty now I know it can be good for you. Just have to control the weight.

Patann
Hurray, chocolate has always been my sweet of choice! I'm going to carry on eating it but can tell everyone it's medicinal and cite the evidence. Thanks cutiepie!
djemm
:grin: I thinkl MODERATION must be the worse word in the english language, how can anyone eat chocolate in moderation... not me thats for certain. If the PD dont get me the chocolate monster will:flushed: