Thought I’d say hello

Hello everybody hope you’re doing okay just thought I’d Write A little bit about myself I’m 54 and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s two years ago are used to work as a plasterer done it for 35 years unfortunately horrible trade dusty and hard work I blame my grandfather because taught my dad He taught Me going back three years ago I started struggling to walk a bit
I was dragging my leg for a bit and every now and again I’ll have a little tremor in my Hand used to get a bit of stick about it jokingly saying you got the shakes Gary like some people do when I give up drinking as the year progressed my walking is getting worse it was a Real struggle plastering but in the self-employed world no work no pay not good when you got Rent and bills to pay until one day I was rendering the side of the house and fell off the tower scaffolding work till you drop literally couple weeks later I had an appointment with the doctor about my shaky hand he suggested Parkinson’s and referred me to the Neurologist after doing all the tests and scans I was told I had Parkinson’s I was in a state of shock Took it really bad still haven’t come to terms with it now very scary I take Sinemet 1 1/2 tabletss 125 six times a day and ropinirole 6mg x1 but my walking is not improving think it’s getting worse if I’m honest I’m starting to fear for a future

1 Like

Hi Gary, nice to meet you.

1 Like

Hello Gary1967
Welcome to the forum and I hope that by reading some of the posts, or indeed by asking any questions that are troubling you, your fear for your future may become a little more easy to bear. Living with Parkinson’s is not easy and facing the uncertain future it brings with it certainly doesn’t help. Everyone finds a way to live with Parkinson’s, but that can sometimes take a while and even when you do it may change as different things occur. You wrote that you are still struggling with your diagnosis but things are changing for you. You’ve found the courage to pen a post and were open about how you feel. That is a big step and should not be underestimated. I can’t tell you how to find some peace to live with Parkinson’s because it’s what works for you. Personally speaking for me it’s a case of doing what I can to stay positive and that involves, amongst other things, concentrating on what I can do today, not what I’ve lost and not think too much about a future that may or may not happen and which I can’t change. That’s what works for me and has kept me going for 12 years; not always easy, I have my moments and coping strategies don’t come with a cast iron 100% guarantee but on the whole it serves me well. Other members of the forum will no doubt chip in with their own experiences and maybe something will resonate with you.
I wish you well.
Tot

1 Like

Hi Tot
Thanks for your answer and some good advice given I agree you have to be positive and concentrate on the things you can do rather than think you can’t which is Has been my problem a bit I don’t want to sound all doom cause I’m not all the time Don’t wanna get suspended for moaning laugh out loud

Hi lemon nice to meet you too

1 Like