To go or not to go

Hi,
This is my first post and I’m very grateful to know that I have a supportive group to turn to.
I am in a quandary as to whether or not to chance a 4/5 day holiday in Majorca with my partner - diagnosed with PD 7 yrs ago. His mobility is still good and he is keen to travel but I’m nervous as he’s suffers from hypotension. This is the main problem for us at the moment - the unpredictability of a dizzy turn /risk of fall.
He gets very down about this as we loved out holidays abroad. Please advise me - should I risk it or go for a staycation? (We live in NI, so can’t get to mainland Europe without flying).
Thank you for any advice or anecdotes of your experiences.

If your husband is keen - i would go - ive had pd for 10 years now & we had plans to travel heaps but now my anxiety is my worst symptom - only a few years ago i walk all over San Fran by myself now i would never think of doing this. Good luck

1 Like

Had PD for three years. Now retired, planning on going to Australia next year.
Yep, sounds daunting but have been told loads of times, “You never regret the things you did, only the things you didn’t do”.

‘Glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time you fall’.
Oliver Goldsmith.

2 Likes

I agree Emboc with the others who have replied, you should definitely give it a go but I can understand your concerns. Maybe these will help.

Planning is the key to a successful holiday for anyone really but probably moreso if travelling with a condition like Parkinson’s There are other pages on the internet so I am sure in amongst them somewhere you will find how best to plan your holiday then all you have to do is enjoy it!!
Tot

1 Like

Definitely travel as far and as often as you can. Assisted travel is an amazing service offered by most if not all major airports. From the moment you arrive at the airport the staff will assist you and your husband from the checkin through to arrivals at your destination. It honestly makes travel possible for everyone and reduces all the stress and anxiety. I have lived with the condition for 10 years and last year I travelled to America, Canada and Italy all using travel assist. Happy holidays

Hi,
This is my first post and I’m very grateful to know that I have a supportive group to turn to.
I am in a quandary as to whether or not to chance a 4/5 day holiday in Majorca with my partner - diagnosed with PD 7 yrs ago. His mobility is still good and he is keen to travel but I’m nervous as he’s suffers from hypotension. This is the main problem for us at the moment - the unpredictability of a dizzy turn /risk of fall.
He gets very down about this as we loved out holidays abroad. Please advise me - should I risk it or go for a staycation? (We live in NI, so can’t get to mainland Europe without flying).
Thank you for any advice or anecdotes of your experiences.
[/quote]

1 Like

A warm welcome Emboc Hubby and I always wanted to see the world. We were at the point in life retired, but we were only having a few holidays a year with an over 60s club, I was diagnosed with PD 2010. The house paid for and we had started lawn green bowling. A bowling friend invited to his bungalow, which belonged to a HA in all there were 30 over aged 55s bungalows. As soon as we saw them and being told I had PD we put our name on the list. Within a year we had sold the house and moved into one of he bugalows. We gave the 2 boys some money invested some for the grand children, the rest was ours. We went all around Europe. then Aus & NZ on a cruise, Then went back to Aus & NZ again but this time we drove all around both countries. Added to the list South Africa. Hong Kong. Thailand, Russia. I would love to see more but the last 2 years my PD is showing me what it can do. So this is just me saying take the bull by the horns as there is a big world out there, just put some money on one side just in case. I am sure you won’t regret it.

1 Like

A heartfelt thanks to all of you who’ve answered my post about travelling abroad. Your encouragement and reassurance has been wonderful. I’m delighted to tell you that, on the basis of it all, we’ve booked 5 days in Soller, Majorca later this month.
I can’t tell you how much we’re looking forward to it x

1 Like

Thank you, Tot. Some really useful tips here , and we’re flying off in 2 weeks :grinning:

Good for you. Have a wonderful time and perhaps consider a post on how you got on when you return - you may inspire someone else to give it a go. I am delighted for your both.
Happy Holiday - hopefully the first of many.
Tot

1 Like

I recommend you apply for Special Assistance at the airport ,
I have had PD for 10yrs and suffer from anxiety when I travel on holiday abroad. On a recent holiday to Spain I requested SI at each Airport through my Flight company (or Tour Operator or Travel Agent). My anxiety faded away as I checked in the Airport staff were brilliant from check- in to being seated in seats here the front.

1 Like

Hi Emboc,
I absolutely would go.
No question.
His hypotension can definitely be controlled with medication.
Don’t let this great opportunity fall away.

1 Like

I think you have your reply Emboc - unanimous agreement that you should go by all who responded to your post. Not long to go until you are off on holiday. I just wanted to say don’t worry if, as your departure date gets closer, you start to wonder if it is such a good idea however much you may be looking forward to it. It would be perfectly normal to be a little apprehensive about something you haven’t done before and once you are on your way you will be fine. There will be no stopping you after this holiday. I am excited for you!
Tot

1 Like

I’ll give you a full report on our
return!

Hello Emboc
I’m glad to read you are going ahead with your holiday and I too would recommend using assistance offered at the airports.
I am the sole carer for my husband with PD (diagnosed 12 years ago). He would love to travel more but as a full time wheelchair user and unable to stand this is no longer so easy. Plus he does not think of the practicalities which is stressful for me adding extra burden. I can understand your concern from a carers perspective, often holidays are hard and not so much a holiday for the carer who stays on vigilant alert 24/7.
However that said I’d still say go take these opportunities whilst you can using as much assistance along the way that enables you too to relax. I hope you do have a great time. Best Wishes Jane

Thanks, Jane,
I am sorry that you find yourself in your current position, with a very limited chance to travel. I’m finding the most difficult thing to accept is the relentless, progressive nature of PD - the fact that things aren’t going to get any better. Like you, I’m a sole carer and it’s hard.
You sum up well the ‘extra burden’ that comes when the person with PD – no matter how well-meaning he/she is – doesn’t understand the lengths we go to make life as ‘normal’ and safe as possible. Perhaps, as good carers, we are in that respect victims of our own success.
I’m trying not to look too far ahead and, on that basis, we will go while we still can.
Warmest regards.

Emboc and Plus1
I have no wish to be critical of what you have written as carers but I felt compelled to say not all people with Parkinson’s are blind, deaf and dumb (with apologies since I know that term isn’t pc these days) to the load carers carry - although I accept there may come a time when this is so by dint of how our condition has progressed over which we have no control. I accept that carers do not have it easy but have you ever stopped to think what it’s like living with the knowledge that you are the cause of so much anguish. We carry a load too, it may be different to yours but no less easy for all that. I live alone. I don’t want my family to be my carers and I have taken what steps I can to try and make that happen and, to use your words, make things as normal as I can for as long as I can. It’s not easy and uses a lot of energy. Parkinson’s affects everyone. Many people with Parkinson’s do not underestimate the load carers carry but it would be nice if just occasionally carers stopped to consider the load we who have the condition carry. It may not be easy, but carers do have a choice. There is no law that says family members have to take on the caring role. People do so for all sorts of reasons but you don’t have to, you have a choice. Those of us with Parkinson’s do not have a choice. I’m never popular when I say such things, carers come back with all sorts of ‘you don’t understand comments’ but it is precisely because I do understand that I make carers aware they do have a choice. I have never suggested it is easy or a decision you would wish to make. By the same token however do not assume those of us with Parkinson’s have no understanding of the price you pay.
As I said this is not a criticism of your posts but nor is the caring role the one way street that carers frequently portray. I hope I haven’t upset you, that wasn’t my intent but it does get very wearing when carers talk as if people with Parkinson’s can’t possibly know how hard it is; thought is rarely given to the load and price people with Parkinson’s pay - without the option of choice.
Tot

2 Likes

Personaly speaking @Tot I think you should have just stopped at the end of first line.

Hope I haven’t been too “critical”.

You’re entitled to your view Liverpool1956 as I am mine. I don’t ask anyone to agree with me, I wasn’t being critical or disrespecting their views and I said nothing I haven’t said elsewhere. The fact is Parkinson’s is tough on everyone and it does no harm to remember once in a while that every coin has two sides.
Tot

1 Like

Every coin does have two sides, but I only get to see one side, the Parkinson’s side. My carer, my wife, she sees both sides and, through choice, deals with both sides.

I thought the original post was about going on holiday, not about the role carers may or may not provide.

That’s all I have to say on this subject.

You don’t have to answer this but how can your wife see both sides when she doesn’t have Parkinson’s but you can only see one side because you do? On the contrary you are clearly very aware of how your wife helps you and willingly and that’s great. You are lucky. You may not like what I said that doesn’t mean it’s not valid and Ive no intention of getting into a slanging match so let’s agree to disagree
Tot