Today was a good day

Many congratulations Liverpool1956, sounds like you had a lovely day.
Wishing you many more happy years together.
Tot

1 Like

Yesterday was a good day -my 66th birthday-walked the dog for an hour, did some housework, went on a vineyard\wine tasting tour and had a chinese take away with family in the evening. The only concession to pesky parky was to factor in an hour sitting relaxing reading before my lunchtime meds as then is when my tremor tends to kick off. Out for a meal this evening -so chilling out day today. PD does not rule me!

1 Like

Good for you Shir and many happy returns for yesterday. I turn 66 in a couple of months and will become a fully paid up pensioner at last - I planned to retire at 60 but then they moved the goal posts. Pensioner I may be but I have no intention of letting PD have it all his own way for a long time to come. either Stay as well as you can and enjoy the rest of your birthday celebrations this evening.
Tot

Thanks Tot. Like you they moved the goal post on me -but retire at the end of next week -bring it on! Going to carry on with a bit of self employed work -but no more 7am drives to work!

That sounds great. I enjoyed my many posts over the years and was lucky enough to have some fabulous opportunities but I took voluntary redundancy when I got an unexpected chance to do so. That was 11 years ago and I have never regretted it. I’m still busy and Parkinson’s is much easier to fit into your life when you’re not working than when you are and it has to fit in with workplace responsibilities. I love not working and hope you enjoy the next chapter of your life. Enjoy your last week
Tot

This is not a conventional ‘today is good day post’ but it seemed the best place to post something I can hardly believe I am doing. I have been working with a personal trainer for close on 2 years and it has made a huge difference to me. I started with 2x30 minute sessions then 2x45 and have been doing 2x60 minutes for some time. I think I am the strongest I have ever been and since I’ve recently developed some postural instability, I have been very grateful for that. I am now in discussion about starting a 3rd session in October. My aim when starting was simple, to develop a strong core and work on my balance to hopefully keep me going for as long as possible. I have far exceeded that and whilst progress may be more zigzag than linear I’m amazed to find I am now thinking differently - no longer just maintaining what I have but setting goals to improve and build upon what I have. It’s something I never expected and I am delighted. The day I made the decision to take this route has proved to be one of the best decisions of my life. I know Parkinson’s will catch up with me sometime but I believe I have given myself the best possible chance of delaying the inevitable for as long as possible and that is something worth celebrating.
Tot

1 Like

Well done @Tot sounds like you’ve achieved a lot over the past couple of years.
Keep up the good work, hopefully it will get better and be a great benefit to you. :trophy::1st_place_medal:

I second that! X

1 Like

Thank you Liverpool1956 you’ve achieved quite a lot yourself over the past little while and long may that continue.

Thank you ElleMac it is a real motivator to push on a bit at the moment as I never really expected to be doing this well at this stage.

This month marks the 2nd anniversary of this post and it remains one of my favourite parts of the forum. I’ve been reading some of the early posts coming up to date and it is a wonderful mixture of all that’s good about life. I am grateful to everyone who posts and long may you continue to recognise the good things in life even when living with Parkinson’s nd dare I say, even sometimes because of Parkinson’s. Here’s to year three.
Tot

2 Likes

Today was a good day, well yesterday actually but who’s counting, because I ran my first km something I never imagined I would be doing on my 66th birthday when I started working with my personal trainer rwo years ago. I am thrilled and delighted. I am moving from 2 to 3 sessions of one hour next month - a bit daunting but I am really keen to see how far I can go. What a brlliant thng to happen on the day I officially became a pensioner. I doubt I would be doing this if I didn’t have Parkinson’s so although I’d rather not have it, it’s almost worth it to feeel so well and positive - only almost mind it won’t stop the future getting hard but at least I will know I’ve done what I could to help myself
Tot

Recently I started jogging not far but nevertheless I was doing it but a video shot on 29th September clearly shows me very lopsided - a tendency to lean to the right being an early symptom that has always been difficult to mitigate. Since then we (my personal trainer and I) have been doing some intensive work on this. She recorded a second video last Friday and the difference was huge. I can’t show the videos but I do have a couple of stills where the difference can clearly be seen. No need to explain why today is a good day lol.
From a very chuffed Tot

3 Likes

1 Like

Merry Christmas Tot

1 Like

Thank you.

Today is a good day for no other reason than I am once again in awe of how strong I can be if and when I really need to be. I won’t bore you with all the detail but this year has started off on rather a rocky road, a family member and a friend both diagnosed with serious health problems, my flooring has to be relaid because it wasn’t done correctly three years ago which means I will need to move out for a second time for two - three weeks, I am starting the process to extend my lease so have needed to do a lot of research and of course there was the day to day challenge of living with Parkinson’s. I was coping with all of this until my energy company hit a major problem with my meter - it was an industry wide problem affecting many people. Their communication has been appalling - I didn’t even hear of the problem until I raised a formal complaint - but the final straw was when I got sent my usual monthly statement showing a bill for over £2500 and my account was in debit to the tune of £2000. The impact was massive and immediate, no-one was replying to my emails and when I rang was just told it was being investigated and not to worry - easier said than done and all my symptoms went into orbit. The issue has now been resolved although my complaint remains outstanding but I am resigned to waiting until my case reaches the top of a hypothetical pile. It has been truly awful and very worrying but once again I have managed to beat the odds and not let yet another curved ball knock me out. This time however was different to other hard things I have faced. I am on a fixed income and have to budget carefully and I had no idea how I was going to meet my apparent changed circumstances, even though logic was telling me this bill wasn’t right. Once again I faced a battle between my Parkinson’s brain and my logical brain and managed to finally get my rational brain into the driving seat.
As far as I am concerned my belief that how one deals with Parkinson’s or any other major health problem or situation, is reflected in the mindset one has been proven yet again. I can’t explain it, I don’t know how I do it but my apparent unshakeable belief that being positive is the key has, in my opinion, been proven again. This post is just to remind me how lucky I am to have this strong ‘spine’ to support my coping strategies and allows me to live with Parkinson’s and not see it as the main feature of either me or my life. As I have said before, it may not last forever, but overcoming this recent serious incident tells me that keeping a positive mindset is the most important thing I can give myself and that I mustn’t take it for granted.
To anyone who may read this, I hope that you are able to recognise what it is that makes it possible for you to live with Parkinson’s and get on with the life you want to have albeit maybe with a few caveats, and that you recognise the strength it gives you and not take it for granted.
Today is a good day for recognising and being grateful that I have such a strong positive mindset that always seems to come through when facing really difficult problems and situations. I consider myself very lucky to have this because undoubtedly life would be much more difficult without it.
Tot

This simply sums up what this thread is about. It may be hard to see it sometimes and sometimes we may not succeed but just because we don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there - it might be something very small and in the most unlikely of circumstances but it might be that small thing that gives us the strength to go on when it all feels a bit hopeless. Today was a good day because I found this thought provoking quote.

1 Like

The lovely Bella went to her new home today, after her owner went into residential care. We were told she would be timid and hide until she found her paws when she would be a total lap cat - someone forgot to tell Bella who had a lovely time exploring her new home and saying hello to everyone. It was wonderful to see but two things made this particular adoption extra special. Mrs G who was adopting Bella was so happy to have her and it was great to see her smile again after her much loved elderly dog, Jade, was pts recently and her previous owner, who has early stage dementia was able to understand and was very happy that Bella had found a home and would be able to see how well Bella did on arrival at her new home as her granddaughter took photos/video to show her. Days don’t get much better than that
Tot

1 Like

That’s fantastic news!

1 Like

Hello jamesburden19, young people today all too often get bad press - unfairly in my view because the few make better headlines than the majority - it was lovely to read your post and to give your friend’s son headline news even if only here on the forum. Congratulations to him and I suspect he has made ‘today a good day’ for several others including yourself. Great news.
Tot