Toilet

Hi my husband has Parkinson’s & at the moment he’s struggling with many trips to the toilet through the night to pass urine. Made even more difficult because he struggles to get in & out of bed. Is this common with PD

Hi Jane
It’s certainly a problem for me. I have to get up 3 or 4 times each night, although thankfully my mobility is OK at the moment. Also whenever I need to pass urine there is normally a degree of urgency which means I can’t delay. I have read on here that it is not uncommon with PD. There is a herbal supplement called saw palmetto which seems to help some people. Good luck.
Roy

Try Saw Palmetto herbal capsules,
Has he had any tests for his Prostate.

HelloJane0804, my husband has had PD for 8 years and in the last year has been struggling with this problem during the night. He takes a medication called mirabegron (Betmiga) as a result of seeing the continence nurse. This has helped urgency during the daytime too. I bought a male urine bottle to keep by the side of the bed so he doesn’t have to keep getting up and going to the bathroom. He was also told to start limiting his fluids after 6ish if possible. Lately, as an extra precaution against accidents if he can’t get out of bed quickly enough, he wears disposable pants at night. Thankfully, so far these have remained dry in the morning. They just give him a feeling of confidence overnight. He doesn’t wear them during the day so if it makes him feel reassured during the night then I’m fine with it too. Hope you find a solution to this very stressful problem. Best wishes Jean

Hi thank you for your response I will definitely look into getting that :pray:

Hi Jean thank you for your response the incontinence nurse is a good idea. He has the night incontinence pants. It seems this is a PD problem. But I will get him checked for prostate at GP. The Parkinson nurse prescribed melanonin to help him sleep. :pray:

Thank you for your response I will look into both suggestions :pray:

I have similar problems. I would suggest you talk to the doctor about urge incontinence. There are drugs that may help at least with the urgency. Making urine in large quantities at night is more difficult. I would suggest no caffeine after lunchtime, try to drink less in the evening and ensuring going to the toilet just before sleep. Urine bottles or a commode next to the bed may make it easier for both of you.

Thank you for your response I think a trip to GP is needed as you suggest. He tried urine bottle but didn’t work for him.

Hi Jane,
I have exactly the same problem. I have had P,D. for 10 years and was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 6 months ago. This was brought to light by the frequent need to urinate. I have tried numerous different beds to facilitate getting in and out and finally settled on a Riser/Recliner chair on which I now sleep every night. This has overcome the problems of getting in and out, I am about to change to a new recliner Pride 670 which is specifically designed as a chair/bed.
Gerrrard

Well for several years now I have often had to get up in the night to pee and until recently it was very rare that I had to do it only once. Sometimes I would get up three or four times. As a diabetic I wondered if my blood sugar levels were way too high because frequent peeing can be a symptom of that. But although a bit higher than is ideal, it is nowhere near bad enough to cause that. However, after experiencing tremors for a few years I got referred to a neuropathist and this year after a brain scan Parkinsons Disease was confirmed. So I guess Parkinsons is the likely cause of frequent peeing for me too.

Things I have found that can help lessen the problem is no caffeine in the last four hours before bed, and nothing to drink at all in the last two. You might possibly be a little thirsty especially in summer heat but I find I often only have to get up once in the night quite often and rarely more than twice. But I am still physically capable of getting up very easily. Were I not I might be tempted to rediscover my inner Victorian and keep some sort of chamber pot under the bed.

I am sorry to hear about your prostate cancer. It is tough enough having to face PD without cancer on top. I hope it has been caught early and that you have a good prognosis. My most heartfelt best wishes to you on that front.

As someone who also has a frequent peeing as an issue, I researched possible causes on the internet and of course prostate cancer was right up there. That was before my PD diagnosis. So I got it checked out. Was all clear in my case on that front. But I guess it does show that we never do know what is around the corner.

When I was young I felt indestructible. Now as we get older I feel fate is playing Russian roulette with our health. With the advancing years I seem to be accumulating medical conditions and tablets. I now have Type 2 diabetes, an anxiety disorder, and last but not least now also Parkinsons Disease…for all of which I now take 8 different pills. The days when I felt indestructible are now long gone.

But enough about me. Seriously, good luck with the cancer. Best wishes for a full and healthy recovery.

Many thanks for your good wishes, I am on a “Watchful Waiting” programme for my Prostate. I had a recent bone scan which showed no evidence of any secondaries. I have a blood test every 3 months to check my PSA which has recently reached 93. Some treatment may be required when it reaches 100. Having reached the age of 89 I am reconciled to illness, I have had a good innings and each day now is a bonus, As yet, Parky has not been too unkind to me - I can get about with the aid of my Scooter and I think my brain is still alert. Although I must admit to sometimes getting confused with my medications, My daily intake is now 16 medications taken on 7 occasions throughout the day.
Best wishes, Gerrard

Hi Gerrard thank you for your reply, I’m sorry to hear about the prostate cancer I hope you get sorted. I like the way you found a solution with the rise & recline chair. Iv got one for my hubby he’s getting used to it. He has an appointment with GP to see if they can help. Good look

Thank you for your response with the peeing situation. Having been on the forum I can see it’s a common problem & I thank people for their response & suggestions.

Hi Jane

I am 55 and was diagnosed with PD 17 years ago. I found my success with managing PD was strongly connected to how I managed sleep. I still work fulltime but have been battling night time incontinence, for the past few years. My advice is try everything and adopt any ideas that make even a little improvement. There is unlikely to be one big solution so small things can add up.

You have already had advice here on managing fluid so I will leave that.

Would your husband benefit from changing the mattress?

Has he tried silk bedding and or pyjamas?

Have you discussed his difficulty getting out of bed with occupational health? They might suggest a lever/handle fitted to his he can pull himself across the bed with.

He may find a nightshirt quicker and easier go to the bathroom particularly if hands tremor

Has he discussed with Dr increasing PD meds over night? I tried this although it seemed to help movement also increased vivid dreams

Parkinsons affects bladder control not only potential leakage also how efficiently empty it. It may be worth trying to use the toilet twice before bed which may clear bladder better. Bladder straining to empty it does not work but I am overweight so before bed I sit on the toilet and leaning forward whilst urinating squeezes more out of my bladder. If I am calm and patient it helps a lot. Belief is also important. If you don’t believe you have control you lose it. Instead I sing song lyrics in my head helping to keep. I have no idea if any of it helps, but feel free to ask questions if you need.

Best wishes

Jon

I second Jean1, Betmiga has helped hubby tremendously. He now takes 50mg once a day.

He was refered to an urologist who made sure nothing else was the cause of his problems before he started on the medication.

Hi Jon thank you for the response, your suggestions are helpful. He has changed beds to a lower Matt the OT measured his leg & said he needed 20inch height no more. This was helpful as he can now get in & put of bed on his own. She also arranged a grab bar to be fitted near the bed which again helps. He also now wears incontinace pants just in case. He’s now been prescribed something to help after checking his prostate was ok. So slowly we’re working through the suggestions. Trial & error every days a school day with PD.

Mattress

I am so glad you have benefitted from support here. We can’t get rid of Parkinson’s yet but we can sometimes mitigate it