Touch sensitivity

I’ve recently noticed my skin seems more sensitive to sensation. The setting on our shower seems hotter than it used to be and I’ve had to turn it down, but my husband says there is no difference that he has noticed. I’m also more aware of the texture of clothing against my skin, and this can sometimes be irritating, especially when I’m trying to get to sleep. Is this just neurosis or is it a symptom of PD or side effect of medication?

I went through a brief period when all my nerves were on edge and. highly sensitive. It was particularly apparent if I was sitting in an armchair and anybody touched the chair. The sensation was like an el electric shock passing through my body. The experience lasted for about a week and has never returned. Gerrard

Hi. This is a really interesting topic and one of the main reasons I’ve joined the forum.

My mother (69yrs) was diagnosed with PD in 2011 and, in the last two/three years has struggled with intense, debilitating pain whenever she wears clothing that touches her body, particularly around her waist. Her bra strap, tights, leggings, trousers, anything that touches her skin around the midsection is a major issue.

All things considered, if she could get on top of this pain, her quality of life would improve substantially.

I noted that Prof. Monty Silverdale did some research for Parkinson’s UK around the similarities between pain experienced in Fibromyalgia patients and PD patients. They both appear to be nerve-related, rather than mobility or movement-related.

If anyone from PUK is reading this, and you have a copy of the study that you funded, or if anyone at all has any further info/advice to share I’d be very pleased to hear from you.

Many thanks,

MattW

Hi @MattW, :wave:

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly, pain is a common symptom in Parkinson’s, affecting about 60% of people with the condition and there are many members of the forum community that know exactly what you are going through. We have a lot of useful information on pain on the Parkinson’s UK website that you may find is helpful to your mum. You can find this page here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/pain

With regard to the research that you mentioned, you can find more information on this via the Parkinson’s Medium blog which explores pain and Parkinson’s with Dr Monty Silverdale. Please visit the blog here: https://medium.com/parkinsons-uk/pain-and-parkinsons-ask-the-expert-2ef4d2690334

If you have any further questions or need support for your mother, please feel free to contact our free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

Hi Reah,

Thanks for replying and for the link to the Medium blog, really interesting read.

My mother doesn’t suffer with tremor but has mild dyskinesia in her arms and legs. The pain she suffers with is, as Monty Silverdale identifies, not related to movement disorders but more to nerve-related pain messages. It’s definitely an area where more research is required.

Her PD Nurse, who is fantastic, and her consultant have both said the pain is not PD-related, but more to do with her slightly curved spine, although this isn’t borne out by the results of an ortho referral. Her consultant who is, again, brilliant, doesn’t see this type of pain in her patients and we’re left in limbo.

I’ll do some more research - I’ve got a copy of the research summary - and then speak to her clinical team again.

Thanks for your support.

Matt

Hi @MattW,

No problem at all, you’re welcome. Many people with Parkinson’s experience dyskinesia, feel free to search the topic on the forum to read other people’s stories and advice. I’m glad to hear that your mother has had a positive experience with her PD nurse, again, if you need further support please do not hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,
Reah