Transfer to a recliner chair without a hoist

Hi my wife has advanced Parkinson’s and is in a nursing home.
She had a fall and broke her hip 3 weeks ago, It is now pinned and she is now recovering, doing physio.
She is able to stand and be moved from bed to chair or loo using a Sara Stedy
Unfortunately the legs of the Sara Stedy cannot go under her recliner chair, nor will the legs spread wide enough to go around the sides of the recliner, So she cannot use the recliner,
Has anyone any ideas on what piece of equipment might be used

Hi Des,

Thanks for your comment. We’re confident that other members will offer you their advice. If not, someone from the Parkinson’s UK moderation team will respond to you as soon as possible. Please also feel free to contact our helpline service on 0808 800 0303 for support and advice.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team

My dad is recovering from hip surgery and is on a zimmer frame. He also has Parkinsons. Have you got an orthopedic chair and cushion. They’re higher and more secure for transferring to and from. Im not sure if that’s the answer you’re looking for. Someone else will have more expert advice im sure.

An ETAC…used in many nursing homes.
Simple and easy…
Love
GG
https://www.etac.com/products/manual-transfer/sit-to-stand/etac-turner-pro/

1 Like

Hi Des,

I hope all is well.

The ETAC that golden girl suggested sounds like a good choice, however, you may also be interested to know that we have a 'Choosing Equipment and Adaptation’ page on our website that you may find useful. It’s a great source of information which helps you get the right equipment to suit the needs of people affected by Parkinson’s.

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi All, thank you for the replies.
Thankfully my wife is recovering, slowly , but now taking a few steps
Des

1 Like

Recliners are better to sit than standard sofa chairs. They are comfortable and are useful to seniors. My grandpa is using Signature Design by Ashley Yandel Power Lift Recliner that is easy to carry and more comfortable to sit.