Trauma

Is there any truth in the claim that pd is often caused by some kind of trauma or injury in the past?
Horace
I had no idea that an injury had been suggested as a cause of Parkinson's!
My husband first developed symptoms after having 2 knee replacements.
I wonder if other forum users have had similar experiences?
GG
Hi Goldengirl,

I am not sure where I heard this so it might be a good idea to take it with a pinch of salt for the time being. I fell 2 years ago on to a hard tiled shower room floor and my symptoms began a few weeks later.
HI,

I have wondered about this quite a lot. It seems to me that most people can identify some sort of 'Trauma' in the few years leading up to the onset of Parkinson's symptoms. A friend of mine had a complex arm fracture. I lost my third son.Could either experience cause such a bizarre condition and if it did, how would knowing that help us now. We would still have to treat the Parkinson's in the here and now.

Also, one person's trauma is another person's little difficulty, so there would have to be more to it than just the traumatic event.

I came to the conclusion that, whilst I doubt that it is to do with trauma anyway, even if it is, the link between the two very different experiences (Trauma whatever it was and Parkinson's) would have to be properly understood if it was to even point in the general direction of a route worth researching.

Happy days!

Radar
Hi.
I had ect treatment nearly 34 years ago and have often wondered if this could be the reason I have parkinsons,I did ask the neurologist this and she said no but I still wonder.
Horace, there may be something in this.

If you'd like to refer to my recent posts in 'Meet and Greet', you'll find references to the work of Janice Walton-Hadlock, who has found that a historic foot injury is a feature of PD, combined with dissociation from that injury. In my case I also had a recent heavy fall that caused a frozen shoulder, followed by PD.

It very complicated, but it looks as though an injury and dissociation from it combine with other factors, creating the conditions for PD to manifest itself.

But there's a lot we can do to help ourselves . . . good luck!
Many thanks for that, Recovery.
Horace
I supose that anyone, at any time, can link almost anything to the onset of PD!!!!!

Hang on a moment, my OH had shingles 30 years ago and then was diagnosed with Parknisons 15 years ago, that it, the connection.
OK, fair point Benji.
Horace
Try goggle searches for trauma and any disease you chose.

Eg:

NaturalNews) The two mental /emotional causes of cancer are acute high stress traumatic shocks and chronic long term negative stress called distress. Traumatic shocks, which are totally unexpected, cause a mind, brain and body reaction that can trigger the formation of cancer. With spirituality and by knowing how to prepare for shocks one can either prevent or heal the emotional root of cancer.

The first mental/emotional cause of cancer is chronic distress or negative stress that causes the hormone cortisol to go out of balance and weaken the immune system. This opens the door to cancer growth.

The second type of stress that can stimulate cancer formation is emotional traumatic shock. Many cancers can be linked to an emotional trauma one to two years before the onset of the cancer.
I have often wondered re the stress theory. `My feeling is that PWP might have had the propensity to getting PD which is sparked of by trauma.
I have Idiopathic Parkinsons. Idiopathic means there is no known reason. I have led a relatively good life, married for 22 years (2nd time round), lovely normal childhood, 4 children of my own, all doing well.2 beautiful grandsons. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs and never have.

But !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have used chemicals to clean my house (known risk factor),
have a very stressful job (known risk factor)
been through a nasty divorce (very stressful)
had 6 miscarriages ( very distressing and stressful)
I fell and bumped my head and sprained my ankle.(a year before Dx)
Had tennis elbow / frozen shoulder.

Any one of these, or something completely different may ave caused my Parkinsons, doesn't really matter to be honest. I have it regardless of cause.For all I know it could have lay dormant in my since birth!!

Caroline
x
I agree with Caroline that given that "ideopatic" is the official line, nobody can say for sure that "there any truth in the claim that pd is caused by X, Y, or Z".

Having said that, I understand that it's reasonably well established that stress makes PD symptoms worse. So, I guess one can at least say that a stressful trauma or injury should normally worsen PD symptoms (if you had PD already). In addition, I happen to believe that there's a fair chance that PD, at least in my case, might be linked with some deregulation of cortisol. As, cortisol (among other things) is our body's main mechanism to handle stress, it's easy to speculate that if one already had some sort of fragile balance there, a period of increased stress might just tip the balance in favor of the biochemical processes that get PD going. This is just speculation, of course, but I personally believe there might be something in there.

Cheers,

lfs
:sunglasses:
Hello Horace
I was diagnosed in 99 from 95 to 97 I endured some unpleasant minor ops investigating bowl cancer, I had only just returned to work when I was attacked in a road rage incident,the bloke involved was non human,he reacted like a complete thug all because I was doing 30 in a 30 limit,It left me shaken but alive
then I had a terrifying incident at work, I used to drive Excavators and the job
I had that day was demolition of a old bakery,the machine was 35 ton and as I was
pulling the old building down I was not informed of a massive underground cellar, I began to sense that a unusual wallowing motion was apparent so I stopped the machine to listen for anything strange,it was then that I heard the foreman shouting to reverse out of the area I was in, he had been looking at the plans and spotted the danger, by the time I had restarted the beast,and began my retreat
it was too late and the floor gave way for about two seconds she was airbourne and smashed down through the floor with a terrible crash,amaziningly I was ok
the machine sustained only superficial damage I dug my way out using the massive power of the CATs Hydraulics then climbed out pretending that I was ok, but the shock hit hard when I was at home that night I began to tremble and shake,and from that day I began to notice a very slight trmble in the left finger of my left hand, I am not saying it was the start of PD BUT IT NEVER LEFY.
So if you combine the fear of cancer plus the accident
fedex

Hi, There has been some research about this subject. Research paper: J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014 Aug;85(8):878-81. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2013-305911. Epub 2013 - Nov 20 Can stress trigger Parkinson's disease? by Djamshidian A1, Lees AJ1.

I joined this forum not for myself but for my 87 year old mother who I think may have Parkinson's (as yet undiagnosed). She often shakes uncontrollably from head to toe. Says she sometimes feels her feet are stuck to the ground, feels unsteady as though she might fall over (sometimes does). Her head often droops at right angles even though an X-ray showed no signs of bone problems. She finds it difficult to hold a knife and fork and cut her food and thinks this may be due to arthritis. She cannot grip things. She suddenly speaks in a very quiet way. Her personality has changed from being quite feisty to meek and anxious and she often gives a wide-eyed vacant stare. Her symptoms started after a couple of big shocks and over the last two years have worsened.

This is a very interesting thread, but I am now 72 and have mild idiopathic Parkinsons. I am happily married, an involved gran, and have had my share of trauma over a long time. I can`t see  that this is a particularly fruitful discussion---. We can`t prove anything---at least not yet.

Thanks all, I do enjoy the comments and the intros. Like everyone else, we look for answers that no one has, At least  not yet.

Frances

There may be as an article I read just a few days ago suggested that a concussion may lead to a 50% greater chance of developing Parkinsons.

Quite worried as one of our daughters suffered a serious concussion a couple of years ago.