Do you have to carry a card to say you have Parkinson’s when going abroad.

You do have to have a medical certificate listing all your medications.
It would be a good idea to have a PD card as well for the same reason that they are useful at home. You might get into a situation where the card explains things easier and better than you can.

I have never needed to show my medical certificate when traveling but there have been a few long looks at the large container of medication we carry.

Some countries are very strict about opioids etc.


Hi @Jenny1,

Good to see that you’ve already received some advice from jimdownunder. I’d recommend that you you ask your GP or Parkinson’s nurse for a medical certificate or letter that explains you have Parkinson’s and list the medication you’re taking. We have more travel advice on our website which you can find here -

If you need to speak to someone about this, you’re more than welcome to speak to one of our advisers via our helpline on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected].

Best wishes,