Trying to help my mum :)

Good morning,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first post.
My mum was diagnosed with Parkinsons about 7 or 8 years ago, just after retiring from work. She’s now approaching 78 and after my dad passed in 2020 she is mainly home alone.
I stay with her every fortnight over the weekend and she has a sister not far away who visits regularly and sometimes stays.
Obviously in winter we are all a little less active, but having spoken to my mum about inactivity and it hindering her feeling better, to which she agrees, I’m really just putting the feelers out on how to start helping her stay more active and exercise a little when no one in the family is around to help or encourage her.
We have also signed her up to this forum and I have tried to encourage her to ask any questions she has and put them to the forum for help and suggestions.
Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
James.

Hi Jwilky,
Yes, please ask her to stay on this forum.
It really is great and people really give great advice.
As regards exercise, please get to exercise as much as possible.
It honestly makes you feel a lot better.
Getting the endorphins up and running does really help.

Hi Clive,
Thanks for your reply.
I will walk her through how to post and look up subjects on this forum and I’m sure that will be the start of much needed support and sharing of ideas.
It feels like we should have done this long ago, still, no time like the present eh!

Again, thanks for the reply.

Absolute pleasure Jwilky.

If I can help in any way please just ask.
:upside_down_face:

Hello jwilky … I go indoor bowling. There are a lot of ladies in their 70’s & 80’s who bowl between 1 & 7 times a week. Quite a few are widows. They love it. Some appear quite frail but manage extremely well. Most indoor bowls clubs are looking for members & give free lessons. Trust me it is not very energetic.

I started playing when I had to give up golf 4 months ago.

Clearly your Mum needs an interest & a way of making friends.

Try & make a list of all the things she might like to try …

The local library or Citizens advice might have suggestions.

Best of luck.
Steve2

Hi am new to forum too. I go nordic walking with people who have parkinsons which helps. There maybe a group near her or she could try differrent activities

Che k our your Mum’s local council provision under something like ‘well being’ our council rum some limited classes (sone paid for) targeted towards joint health, balance etc. Also contact your mother’s local help the aged group plus look for a local Parkinsons support group. Her local council should have contact information for local groups on their webpage. Best Wishes

Hi James

Is your Mother in touch with her local Parkinson’s Support Group?

Hi Steve,
Thank you for the response.
I will mention the idea of indoor bowling to my mum and see what she thinks.
The “list”, you mention will be a great place to start. It’s a golden rule isn’t it, make a list!
I feel, as soon as she starts interacting with this forum then it’s going to be a game changer. I’m so appreciative of the responses…
Thanks Steve.

Caz62

Thank you for your reply. All the responses and ideas I’m getting will be pondered and investigated by myself and mum.

@Plus1,
Thank you those are great ideas and advice we will be following. We’ll get in touch with the council and find out what’s on offer.
@Douglas,
No I don’t believe she’s in touch with a local Parkinson’s support group. She just has contact with a Parkinson’s nurse maybe once every 3-6 months and she has seen a private consultant 2 or 3 times.

Please see the following link for local support groups. Local groups | Parkinson's UK

1 Like

Hi James, can I echo Douglas’s reply. If you have a local support group they can provide lots of social outlets and events as well as helping you access exercise classes, both really important with PD. Ours is linked to a number of exercise groups, mainly based on the PD Warrior scheme: it sounds daunting but the exercises are designed to fit round your abilities and it is a really close social group. It was the best thing I’ve done.

Please see Parkinsons - Everyone Active if you are interested in using a gym. Free membership for people with Parkinson’s.