Ultrasound removing shakes

Intersting programme on TV last night called "trust me i'm a Doctor"

Showed a PD sufferer with very shaky hand being given ultrasound to a specific part of the brain, after a 4 hour treatment his shakes had completely gone !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01dgf1w/Trust_Me_Im_A_Doctor_Episode_1/

But for how long?

this sounds just another variation of Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) where a transducer is embeded in the brain and energised via a controller inserted in the upper chest area.  Clearly DBS is permanent whereas the ultrasonic stimulae featured in the TV program is not.  I therefore also question just how long the reduction in tremour symptoms lasted.  Also I'm not sure weather the DBS system operates with ultrasonic energy or some other frequency.   

....but for how long ?

It would seem to be permament  Caroline..

Quote "At the University of Virginia, they are pioneering a new kind of treatment, which can destroy the tiny piece of brain tissue causing the tremor without even opening up the skull." Unquote

Can research comment and find out about availability in the UK?

thanks

GG

The drawback of this treatment seems to be the destruction of certain cells, which would make it irreversible. This in contrast to DBS treatment which  does no damage and is reversible.

Hi everyone

Thanks for posting about this Kyloe, we’ve had quite a few enquiries about the recent ‘Trust me, I’m a doctor’ episode you mention.

The programme discussed the use of focused ultrasound as a ‘lesioning’ technique for Parkinson’s. Lesioning means damaging certain cells within specific areas of the brain and works in a very similar way to deep brain stimulation.

This new approach using ultrasound is non-invasive so people don’t have their skulls opened up. But as Kyloe and Kate say it is also permanent - it irreversibly damages the nerve cells in the brain.

In deep brain stimulation the electrodes that are implanted into the brain can be turned on and off (so it is reversible), and the frequency of the electrical stimulation can be adjusted to suit the individual.

At the moment, ultrasound therapy for Parkinson’s is being tested in clinical trials in the US and Switzerland. Until this approach is proven to be safe and effective for people with Parkinson’s it won’t be available in the UK.

In terms of research there is much more evidence available on the safe and effective use of deep brain stimulation for people with Parkinson's. You can read more about deep brain stimulation in our 'Surgery for Parkinson's' booklet available here - http://bit.ly/1bScZrs

With best wishes

The research team

I thought the accountants in ATOS had cured Parkinson's 

but it  looks like engineers are getting in on the act 

i never expected to come across this an Internet  page aimed at engineering news 

Lasers Might Lead to Cure for Brain Diseases Such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
Eng-Tips

Posted November 4, 2013 by  in News

http://eng-tips.nethawk.net/blog/lasers-might-lead-to-cure-for-brain-diseases-such-as-alzheimers-and-parkinsons-2/