Using the Stairs and Stair Aids

Hi I’m finding it more difficult to use the stairs now, particularly with balance worries of tipping over. I can still physically use the stairs though and feel its too early to consider a stairlift and the associated cost. I wonder if there are other aids or methods that people use and could advise me to consider?

![image|666x500](upload://qmj8xYkN9HnoLJOXlODGlpzzdrH.jpeg)

*We live in a very old cottage the bathroom is downstairs. ,the stairs are in a cupboard like a spiral staircase. When I’m on ,I can negotiate them no problem but when I’m off they are a death trap. We love living in the cottage and at 73/70 don’t really want to move. A stair lift wasn’t an option so we decided to go for a Stiltz thru the floor lift. it’s the best decision we ever made.We couldn’t afford a new one but managed to get a company who do refurbished (and it is like new,)less than half the price.Can’t recommend it enough. The hoover,washing,suitcases all get put in it and we both get the benefit of it.[quote=“col1210, post:1, topic:31200, full:true”]
Hi I’m finding it more difficult to use the stairs now, particularly with balance worries of tipping over. I can still physically use the stairs though and feel its too early to consider a stairlift and the associated cost. I wonder if there are other aids or methods that people use and could advise me to consider?
[/quote]

strong text***[quote=“col1210, post:1, topic:31200, full:true”]
[/quote]

Hi Flossie88 and thanks for the reply. It sounds like you found a neat solution to both managing your PD fluctuations re using the stairs and fitting in with your house layout. I’m the same In that I feel more able to use the stairs when I’m ‘on’ though still slowly and carefully. I know I won’t get back to how I used to be, because of the PD progression, but equally I don’t want to move straight to a stair lift, whilst I still have some physical capability, albeit with steadiness and balance issues.

Interestingly since posting this thread I’ve done some searching on the web and found a Norwegian aid called ASSISTEP. It looks like the kind of thing I was thinking of, but I don’t obviously know yet if it would be suitable for my house and my PD issues, or the cost but I’ll do some further digging.

Thanks again.

Hi, your current situation is one I faced about 4 years ago, I reached out to my PD Nurse who referred me to the local Community health and rehabilitation team. They came to my home and carried out an assessment of my needs and made several recommendations for simple alteration which would assist me in carrying on being able to live in the family home.
At no cost to me they installed a second banister rail, grab bars at the front and rear doors, bed aids to assist me with me turning over and getting in & out of bed safely, they also provided me with 2 perch stools. The bed aids and perch stools were on long term loan, but the banister rail and grab bars were permenantly installed and did not need to be returned when I moved in December last year from our house in Norfolk to a bungalow in Lincoln.
Also whilst in the house they put me in touch with the local council handyman service, who were able to provide a brick step and levelling of some patching stones at nil cost to me as it came below the local council £350.00 limit.
They also assisted me when we had alteration to make the ensuite into a wet room by informing me how I could claim the VAT back on the building works. As it happens the local company I got to do the works were familiar with the forms and only required me to sign one part of the form stating that it was for my use to allow me to bathe safely due to my disability.
It might be worth asking your PD nurse for a referral and if you don’t have one your GP can also make the referral. Best wishes John :sunglasses:

Hi,

If your are still finding difficulty using stairs, you can use stairlift. I have been using stairlift for some time now and I have found it helpful. I got it from Landolov

Just a question for anyone that has a stair lift .I am in the process of moving home to a adapted property with a stair lift but I have to have a stair lift suitability. Assessment by occupational therapy . Can anyone shed any light on what it involves the stair lift is already in situ is the assessment to make sure I can use it safely ?

Our OT had another rail installed on our staircase (one on each side) which has been a great help to my husband. He leaves a walking stick at both ends of the staircase. Hope this helps.

Yes that is exactly what they will be checking. There is quite a widespread view that provision of a stairlift will solve all the problems a person has in using the stairs but tiat is not necessarily accurate. Primarily they will be looking to make sure you can transfer on and off safely and can manage the controls and understand how it works - eg the safety feature that the stairlift doesn’t move immediately you press the button etc. They will also make sure it meets your needs. If for eg the bathroom is upstairs and you need to get to the toilet quickly because you have urge incontinence a stairlift may not help - there is as I said a few seconds delay before it moves and it doesn’t move fast, also if you are rushing to get to the toilet your transfers on and off may be unsafe. It’s that sort of thing they will be looking for. If a stairlift is not found to be suitable for you there are slternatives. Stairlifts do suit a grest many people however so I wouldn’t worry unduly about this assessment and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Best wishes
Tot