Variety is the spice

I went to a support group the other week, not a great success but I'm glad I tried and I'll try again somewhere else. I went on my own; I am on my own and have always been ok with that, have always preferred it if I'm honest. And knowing that some of  my neighbours think I'm a slightly odd spinster with questionable dress sense has always entertained me :) 
I guess Parkinson's is scary whether you're alone or not, but when I was at the group, a couple of people actually expressed pity for me regarding my single status (a very sweet lady held my hand and told me she was sorry!) Now I know there are a number of us out there who are alone with this so I figure I was just unlucky, but reading through the forum, there are several 'at least I'm not on my own. . ' type comments (and worse). Ah well, at least there's consistency: a single friend who doesn't have PD says she is the office anomaly ('she never married you know . . . ') and tells me to get over myself (fairly good advice). And seriously, there are benefits. Anyway, just a thought really, we come in all shapes, sizes and lifestyles and I think  it's important to remember that each has its own pros and cons - if you're newly diagnosed and living alone, you don't want to be the baseline (If that makes sense).
J

Hi

I'm ok being on my own too & doing my own thing.

although i'm not alone my Gf lives up the coast and she's happy being on her own too Lol  that prob doesn't make much sense, we are Happy together when we are together , she likes where she lives in a town and i like where i live in a quiet rural location by the sea. we are happy together living apart not as a couple.

There are a couple of groups where i live, I haven't found time too visit one yet in my daily routine if I still have one Although there is curiosity in meeting others with Pd,  would i relate too what is largely thought  as a older age group still being young in my 40's??, new meat for the group grinder explaining myself is the vision I have.

Hi Sea Angler,
Sounds like you've got a relationship that works and an environment that suits you - and that makes total sense.
I had the idea that I was going to be at the low end of the average age of the group: 51 sounds like a big number to me and I had been firmly told that I wasn't the youngest (by a mile) when I was diagnosed in my late 40's (I hadn't mentioned age) - not sure if I was meant to feel grateful or . . . ..?
I'd  been plucking up the courage to go for a while (groups tend to give me the jeebies) so I guess I'd built it up too much in my head. I was, in fact, the youngest by a good 15 years. That wasn't actually a big issue but I didn't feel quite ready for the 'Age UK' speaker, though maybe I'm just kidding myself :) - and it was a very small group which was held in a slightly run down, cold hall with rickety chairs. Nice enough people, just not a lot in common. Maybe  it's just a bit late to overcome a lifetime of 'group avoidance', but worth a try and I'll have another go - like you say, there's curiosity. 
Take care. J

Hi J

If it wasn't for the P i wouldn't feel any different about my age, i don't feel any different about myself since i left school or started work or bought my first Pint or passed my driving test, The neuro said the words 'it's very rare' but then it's not so rare really, a friend the other day told me of her friend who is just around the same age, and then so many peoples' first posts are 'hi i'm a '40 something or indeed 30 something'.

Perhaps i will take the plunge before i get my free pen just for enquiring ?? lol.