Vascular Parkinsonism

Hi
My dad, aged 78 was diagnosed with vascular Parkinsonism earlier this week. Over the past few years, he has been attending the GP with balance issues, dizziness, extreme fatigue and a feeling of heavy legs. Up until November 23 he was driving, walking with a stick and was independent. In November, he had a dizzy turn which led to him falling backwards on to his bed. He was in hospital overnight and was discharged the next day with the aid of a zimmer. Since then, he has had several falls, his mobility is extremely poor. Some days he cannot walk and a wheelchair is required. He also shakes at times. He can’t make himself tea or anything as if he takes his hands off his zimmer, he topples over. Mum, myself and sister all support him but he is now very depressed about this change in his life and losing all the things he used to enjoy such as gardening and popping to the shops for mum. It’s heartbreaking to see for us all and we feel helpless. We have decided as a family to try Levodopa in the knowledge it may not be of benefit but nothing to lose by trying. Does anyone share the same experience, have any tips on making life easier or any positive outcomes from Levodopa?
Thanks in advance.
Linda

Hi Petermckenzie8,
We’re sorry to hear your father is facing these challenges. We saw this was your first post, and before you hear from our lovely forum community, we wanted to make you aware of the tools we offer. First of all, our website is an excellent source of information. You can find loads of data on Levadopa, for example, here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/parkinsons-drugs. Please take advantage of the search function to find the latest research news, journalism, and even archived forum threads. Added to this, we have a free and confidential helpline, on 0808 800 0303, staffed with advisers who can assist with a range of issues, including government paperwork and finding resources in your area.

We hope you’ll take advantage of these tools, and please accept our warmest welcome,

Jason
Forum Moderator

Thankyou. This will be very helpful.
Much appreciated.
Kindest Regatds
Linda

1 Like

Hi Linda,

I very sorry to hear about your father’s problems. Vascular parkinson’s is a tricky thing to treat as the damage occurs in a different way to Parkinson’s disease. There tends to be a sudden loss of dopamine producing cells so there is lees chance that there are cells that can use L-dopa left. It’s not impossible that it can help but you may find the side effects outweigh the benefits, particularly drops in blood pressure leading to falls.

I assume your father has seen a occupational therapist and physiotherapist in the community as well as in the hospital. Adjustments to home and exercises to improve balance and core strength can help.

If he is getting depressed, talking to your GP about this and some counselling might help. It is going to take awhile for him to adjust to his diagnosis.

BW
Podd

1 Like

Thankyou. Yes he has community physio and OT. We have had some aids to help. Hopefully he will benefit a little from the medication.
Kind regards
Linda

Sorry to hear about your Dad and hope he can get on top of his symptoms and keep his blood pressure controlled. I have PD and recently had review DatScan and Brain MRI. The DatS a showed a small worsening in dopamine uptake following that at my last scan 10 years ago. More worrying was that the MRI confirmed that I have moderate Cerebral Small Vessel Disease. This showed as diffuse light flashes indicating a number of small areas of brain death following tiny TIAs. My risk of having a major stroke or vascular dementia has doubled! At this time all I can do is control my blood pressure and lipids.

Hi Douglas,

your risk for stroke and vascular dementia have if anything have gone down as you are now treated for your risk factors for those. Prior to the MRI you had the risk but were unaware. Life style changes can make a big difference, such as exercise, healthy diet and not smoking. Finding that you have had problems in the past lets you reduce your future risk.
BW
Podd

1 Like

I was treated for stroke prevention long before this diagnosis and that did not prevent the multi-site areas of brain death I now have. I also have diabetes and a very rare form of leukaemia.