Vivid nightmares

This is my first visit to the Parkinsons forum, I was diagnosed a few years ago with Parkinsons, recently I have had a few vivid nightmares about my late husband, he was a wonderful man and to have these vivid nightmares has been very upsetting , I have read on the forum about some people taking clonazepam to help but I have been taking this for several years and not had a problem and my medications overall have not changed,

1 Like

Hi Summer,
We’d like to welcome you to the forum, and only wish it was under better circumstances. Unfortunately, nightmares can be a fact of life for some people with Parkinson’s. While there are some common treatments, each person is different and may need different kinds of help. You might want to have a look at this archived forum discussion around the subject. We would also suggest, alongside informing your medical team about your sleep difficulties, contacting our free and confidential helpline. They offer highly knowledgeable support and often surprise with the kinds of help they can find. You can reach them at 0808 800 0303. You’re also bound to hear from other forum members soon, who always have valuable insight to add.
We hope you find your time here beneficial, and please accept our sincerest best wishes.
Jason
Forum Moderator

Hi Jason.mod,
Thank you for your help, I will take a look at the forum discussion and contact the medical team, I have never had these symptoms before and I feel very frightened when they happen,

1 Like

A big welcome to our forum I hope you will get a lot of advice from our members. My husband also had vivid Nightmares but it’s not my hubby who has PD but me, having said that i do know what you are going though its called REM rapid eye movement for people who do not know about it,you live your dreams my hubby has had me by my throat, ripped off my nighty, kicked me out of bed, and ran in to the bed room wall. It took 10 years to find out what it was the GP did not have a clue so we went to another GP he told us to sleep in seporate room. Then by chanch we went on a visit and was just talking to this Prfessor Barker straight away she said what it was, so he was also put on Clonazepam which has worked. but the professer did tell him that if they were not taking effect to see his GP and higher the dose. Touch wood he is ok at the moment.

1 Like

Hi Summer1,

I’m sorry to hear of your noghtmares, that must be scary.
I too have very vidid dreams, but fortunately they are fairly innocuous so far.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies, I will look into REM Rapid eye movement.
For over a year now I have had dyskinesia affecting my right leg and arm, which has impacted on my day to day living, I used to walk miles but no more , I require a walking stick now and at the weekend I have had head movements which I had never experienced before, sometimes it can be very difficult day to day when things you use to do and enjoy you cannot do anymore.
Each day I say today is going to be a better day and some days it is especially when the sun shines , listening to my music in the garden, I feel better in myself, keeping positive is not always easy as I know but it is a key to helping my mental health and wellbeing.

1 Like