Waiting for help

Following a suggestion from somebody else with PD I contacted by email my Parkinson’s nurse in January this year for advice on installing a handrail on my stairs. Over the course of the year I have sent 9 messages either repeating my original request or asking how things were progressing. I have received 3 replies characterised mainly by prevarication and/or confusion.
My last contact with the nurse was a letter from her and copied to the re-ablement ‘team’ that was dictated on the 20 September, typed on the 26 September and received by me on 8 October. Does anybody have any advice on what I can do to get something done?

Hi Yann
Your question about handrails and any other disability items required such as ramps,stairlifts etc .
All of these needs depends on where you live and in what type of housing should be available from your local council or your landlord for instance housing association .
But in my experience if it is only handrails you require for the moment it’s normally attended to quite promptly by your local council and of course there is always the C.A.B who are extremely good also if you are over 50 age UK are also a good place to start.
All your rail requirements should be done in two visits one to measure and one to fit the equipment if you are a housing association tenant they are usually very good at fitting rails fairly quickly but things like a wet room for instance are a bit more difficult.
If all else fails you also have your local MP who will help you through the system.
Hope this is of some assistance
Regards Tommy :pill:

Hi @Yann,

It sounds like you’ve been going around in circles which I’m sure isn’t helpful to you. The best thing to do would be to contact your local adviser about this - you’re more than welcome to contact our helpline on 0808 800 0303 and one of our advisers can offer you more support on this. You can also find a local adviser using our search tool here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/support-you.

Lastly, if you’d like to make a complaint about the NHS, you can do so by following this link p- https://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/complaint/

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes,

Hi Yann -

It’s your local council who is responsible for providing home adaptations like stair rails, not actually the NHS although they can refer you. The service is slightly different in each area but you can contact the council directly and ask for a home assessment, usually carried out by an OT - occupational therapist - employed by the council.

There is information about this here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/household-gadgets-and-equipment-to-make-life-easier/

And you can search for contact details for your area by putting in your postcode here https://www.gov.uk/apply-home-equipment-for-disabled

Hope taking the initiative yourself speeds things up - sadly the NHS & local authorities do not work as seamlessly together as would be helpful.

1 Like