Waiting

Hi I have just had my first visit to the neurologist and he mentioned pd my only symptom is that my left arm tremors when I am nervous or cold. And my fingers on both hands are stiff sometimes but I have been exercising them and that helps I have probably worried myself sick by googling. I have been referred for a brain scan but he sud that probably won’t happen until Christmas as the waiting list is so long. I think its the not knowing that is the worst.

Hi Friday,

Sorry to hear this. My only advice is try not to worry about what may be (easy to say you may think)
It took 18 months for my diagnoses but no doubt had it longer. But you know, it is the uncertainty that gets too you, once you know you deal with it.
Keep exercising, it works wonders!
My thoughts are with you and I hope it is good news, If not we are all here to support you:)
Annie

1 Like

Thank you so much I am trying hard not to let it worry me as that make my arm wobble lol. Thank you for being there xx

@Friday, Even if you are diagnosed PD, don’t change your current lifestyle to accommodate it. Do what you do best every day and think positive in your outlook. On here, as @AMU has rightly pointed out, you have a great network of people in your situation who you can reliably call on for help and advice. We are all for sharing our journeys with you and relate our individual experiences. Chin up and best foot forward.

Les

Ah thank you I am still waiting to hear when my scan is, it’s the waiting that is the worst at the moment as all of a sudden I have become a crying quivering wreck lol which is so not me.

@Friday, What will be will be, please try not to get yourself wound up about it. No matter the outcome there will be plenty of support on here for you and don’t forget it !! So get a grip on yourself and be brave, the scan is nothing to worry about it is the results that are important, small steps, one at a time, we will get you there.

Les

Hi Friday,

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences, we were waiting a while for my Dad’s diagnosis so I understand the frustration of just wanting answers. We found calling the Parkinson’s UK Helpline really helpful when waiting for answers as they were great for support but the emotions you’re feeling at the moment are a part of this process so please don’t criticise yourself for feeling understandable emotions whilst you wait for answers. Use support from friends and family wherever you can and try to do some things you enjoy, continuing with exercises will help symptoms and help with wellbeing.

Best wishes to you and I hope you get some answers soon,
Laura.

1 Like

Well it’s confirmed, I have parkinsons :disappointed_relieved: I will not let this thing beat me I am so determined to be positive. I am not reading anything that will drag me down I am going to carry on living as normal and working for as long as I can. I am worried more for my family really so being positive is how I am dealing with it at the moment. Hurry up with that cure please lol

2 Likes

So Sorry Friday,
Stay as positive as you can but remember it is early days and you will be bombarded with information.
Your family can also access the PD site and there is really useful information there for them.
Remember that you are still you and your PD is individual to you.
Always here for a chat.

Take care
Annie

1 Like

Hi Friday,

I’m sorry you were waiting so long for the formal diagnosis. Have some time to process things but I think you take the right approach to stay positive. My Dad found that even though he was expecting a diagnosis when it eventually got confirmed it hit him hard because he worried about the changes he thought would have to be made straight away. He got the formal diagnosis in September 2019 but since November 2019, he’s been feeling a lot better and after we made lifestyle changes he said he feels better now than he has in years. We’ve worked to put together a plan that manages his symptoms (which sound very similar to yours). The main principles are: exercise every day (high intensity interval training can be really helpful for tremors) combined with yoga and stretching, drinking at least 2 litres of water every day, healthy meals with lots of vegetables and reducing dairy intake.

When he was first diagnosed we made the mistake of reading online articles that were really negative but Parkinson’s is a condition that can be very well managed. There’s also another charity called Parkinson’s Care and Support UK that focus on non medical management to minimise or reverse symptoms. Their website is here: https://parkinsonscare.org.uk/

Stay as positive as you can and give yourself time. Wishing you and the family all the best!