Walking stick

i can walk without a stick, but recently when out in the bush i picked up a small branch and found, to my surprise, that it greatly improved my walking motion. so i have bought a walking stick and use it and i have found that using it makes my arm swing and forces a more normal walking action which has vastly improved my tendonitis. instead of walking stiffly, a more natural left-right-left rhythm develops. its also very useful on stairs.
lastly its good for fending of snakes and crocodiles.
cheers
Hi

Fending off crocodiles and snakes is not much of a problem in Hampshire, but something I have found useful is changing my shoulder bag to a back pack. It helps keep me upright and eases my back pain.

I do wonder about getting a pair of those Norwegian style walking poles. Has anyone any experience with them?

AnneG
Hi All,

I started doing Nordic walking quite soon after diagnosis three and half years ago. having come across it being recommended a good exercise for neuro.conditions on various US sites. It ticks a lot of PD boxes: makes you stand up straighter when walking, works your spine because you swivel slightly as you go with two poles, exercises the whole body (I find the gymn boring), lengthens your stride and as Turnip has found even one pole persuades your body to a more rhythmic gait which sets up a virtuous circle. Since I took it up the number of classes has mushroomed and several health authorities are sponsoring it by paying for leaders training. When I developed trochanteric bursitis on two separate occasions which lasted for quite a few months and is not quite gone I could not even go round the shops for more than about ten minutes but using just one stick I could and with two poles go on longer walks. I also think it probably wards off stiff shoulder on the affected side if you have the non-swinging and/or dangling arm symptom It was when I left my normal walking pole behind one day (before dx.) that I realised my right arm did not swing when I walked.

As you may guess I could go on and on - perhsps I have - about how much I feel Nordic walking has helped me regain and maintain fitness. My hips are my weak spot - were tight even as a child so at my age (73)I think it would be quite easy to lose mobility if I didn't actively try to counterract the insiduous effects of PD on the muscles. When I started I found a fitness trainer whose father has PD who was keen to promote a group for PD and other problems but frustratingly he has had little luck either himself with the local health practices or even persuading his own father to do more exercise!!
I would like to add that I am lucky in that the leader of the Nordic group I go with (the slowest one of three levels) does what you would call proper walks,, i.e. varied routes in the many easy footpaths we are lucky to have in Cambs and Northants whereas as if you are unlucky you will find yourself going round and round the local rec.
i'd love to give it a go but not sure how the locals would take to that level of pommy eccentricity. made need to buy a false beard at the same time.
Hi

During a visit to Brands Hatch I was nominated to take care of a pair of umbrellas,my wife commented that I was able to keep up with the rest of family using the umbrellas as walking aids.

The very next week we invested £20 in a pair of Nordic Walking Poles and we have not looked back since.

I would recommend them to anyone.

Cheers

Alan
Hi Turnip

I googled Nordic Walking Australia and several sites popped up. Try the following link:

http://www.nordicwalkingaustralia.com.au/index.php?page=find-an-instructor
I bought a walking stick but it doesn't help. If messages from my brain won't organise my legs into walking the messages don't get through to the hand holding/moving the stick either. It just gets in the way and is another obstacle to negotiate.

Lin
thank you EP

Hi lin
yes, i can see how that would happen as co-ordination becomes more difficult. Different aids for different stages. What one day is useful,later becomes useless. The one thing I would say to people starting to have trouble walking is not to be embarassed about using aids to maintain activities. It isn't an admission of weakness, its a statement of determination.
It isn't an admission of weakness, its a statement of determination.

That statement has made such a difference to me, and I thank u for it.
I have used a stick for some time now, but I have always seen it a weakness, and an embarrassment
Well no more… it shows that I am determined not to let PD restrict me more than it already does.

Many thanks
jaylew
If you have one of those telescopic "ski pole" type walking sticks you can experiment with different lengths to see which suits you best.
AnneG
I tried my wifes nordic poles, almost kiolled myself tripping up over the damned things they need A LOT of concentration, and staminaa.