Walking

Hi Nickthemod welcome to the forum .Great to see you're playing football and badminton . Your comment about the guys hitting to the right really made me laugh . They mean well its great ! Your positive attitude is fantastic .Best wishes . 

Hi Powrie I too have been struggling with the cold weather . It makes me feel worse I think it's pretty common from what I've read . I have had more aches and pains . It wakes me up at night . Painkillers don't seem to work . I've just been trying to keep really warm . Wore thermals to work the other day . I find a hot bath is the best thing for me and I have an electric blanket . I find my right side gets very cold (affected side) and movement worse then the pain comes . Seeing neuro end of feb and counting the days at the moment . Hope you feel better soon . Roll on the spring ! 

Hi Powrie I think PWP  all seem to suffer in one way or another this cold weather. I shake more,and no matter how much I wear I still shake, I stay indoors as much as I can, hubby goes shopping! My legs are stiffer and feel like lead weights. As Maddison said roll on the spring........ 

Hi Nickthemod welcome to the forum .Great to see you're playing football and badminton . Your comment about the guys hitting to the right really made me laugh . They mean well its great ! Your positive attitude is fantastic .Best wishes .

Thanks Maddison

I DJ as well using 7" vinyl, playing time per record is about 3 minutes maximum

I sort the tracks with my right hand which I struggle to flick through with my fingers because my reactions/ reflexes are slower.

On occasions the records run out which I get stick for hahaha.

Talking about the cold I played football monday night ,tempo was -2 and I now have 2 sore hamstrings and sore neck

The lads in my team know about my Parkys although it doesn't change them they still pass ridiculous balls to me that even a teenager would struggle to catch then give me stick for not getting there.

I wouldn't have it any other way though.

Keep smiling n laughing :)

Hi Nick .I am sure it helps to sort the records with your affected hand rather than try and do it with the left . Keeps the muscles working and stronger . I'm right handed too . My hand feels numb and weaker especially if cold . I'm using it all the time at work which must be good . I work full time and have two Children and a dog so life is busy and it's a distraction . I was diagnosed sep so early days . I love walking ,always have which is frustrating at the moment . As kids we were used to lots of walking - three peaks Ben Nevis etc . I walk the dog every day after work and at the weekends can take him further and over the fields . I love the countryside . The more I walk I do find my walking gets easier . I'm just a lot slower but I get a bit speedier after a while . Speedy Gonzales ! Have a good day ! 

Well, this would seem to be me...one of the first few symptoms was "arm carrying" as I put it - right arm hooked across my belly - and more recently the flappy foot. Klou also mentioned her hubby saying his arm feels "fat" - me too! Feels like my shirt sleeve is tighter on my right hand side, but there's no visible swelling; I think it's part of the tensing of the muscles - I'm getting a similar sensation in my right thigh too.

I don't think I look down when walking (but I'll look out for that). However I do seem to walk on the outside of my right foot (which makes it ache). I try to concentrate on exaggerating the "rolling" of my right foot from heel to toe. It helps, but it's tiring to have to concentrate so hard on doing something that I've done without thought for the last 40-odd years (yes, I'm only 48). Strangely, stairs don't seem to be a problem unless there's a large number, in which case coming down them makes my right leg shake when it takes my weight.

My right arm carries across when i'm relaxed holding a pint in my left,My little finger is slowly starting to point outwards when relaxed as well.

I have the feeling of fat hand most of the time in my right although no symptoms elsewhere yet apart from tremors in my right arm and a wicked shake on the right when i have a stretch.

I have been prescribed Sinemet 62mg to start with but I don't feel ready to take them yet , will I do more harm than good if I leave them longer.

I have also had a MRI scan which came back as no major pathology ! what's that supposed to mean ? as I cannot get an appointment to see a doctor face to face until 9th Feb !!!.

I also shake when I stretch...like a defecating dog to coin the phrase...

Nick - take the Sinemet. See my post in Treatments and Therapies for more details of how much it's improved my condition.

Sorry for not posting sooner.

Hi all

Regarding tendency to lean forward while walking and loss of right arm swing, I have both! The leaning forward I try to correct from time to time, I think it is related to balance as well as to posture effects of Parkinsons. The arm swing has recovered a bit since I have been on medication (4mg slow release Ropinerol daily). Also I can re-start the swing by consciously moving my arm at the elbow, not the shoulder. Hope this helps..

Hi All foot drop and no left arm swing is also my problem. I walk as if I am drunk and am conscious of how it looks. However walking round Tescos with a trolley to support is a doodle so bought myself a hiking stick which does help with balance. Not on any meds yet only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. Do meds help your walking if so may contact my consultant as I don't have an appt till Feb next year. Also I have pains in both upper arms and have difficulty with some movement like pouring a kettle. No tremors yet though. Anyone recognise any of this 

Tom

hi tom

Yes meds should make a great difference. Also with pd im afraid pain issue do come with parkinsons but they can be kept under control by gp ,if you go to the pd shop they have walking sticks with pd wrote on them & people seem to give you time & also move out the way ! i have had pd nearly 9yrs best bit of kit i have bought ! welcome tom If you feel that you need something to help you,you can get in touch with your pd nurse sure they will help.

Hi Taffy,

My obvious symptoms started with a tremor in the arm and then down that side soon after a car crash..  My more subtle symptoms go back many years and included repeated  tripping and separating the toe bit of my shoe and thinking it was the other way round.  Two months before diagnosis whilst on a Ramblers holiday I was blaming my boots,  the pace of the walk etc. for my wobbly gait - not apparent to others as far as I know.   .Utter exhaustion was however, apparent to others when it hit me..  As soon as I went on  sinemet (the drug of  choice if you are older at dx.) I felt completely normal again.  You may never get tremors as about 30% do not have tremors.  If you decide to go on the Sinemet, make sure you get something to combat nausea if you are one of those who get nausea  as below about   3  x   25/100mg you are not getting enough of the ingredient which prevents nausea .  I can't find a reference for this but have read this several times.  I mentioned this because I was violently sick when I first took sinemet and again each time it was raised until I got to three a day..  It may be small beer to the neuro but I felt like I was going to die .and it could persuade someone that they could not tolerate the drug at all.  I don't have any nausea now.  Also they might say take the pills with food initially but then no one bothers to tell you that in the long-term this is not  good idea as protein interferes with the action of the pills

All the best.

Hi all this is all great advice thank you 

still play golf and walk with the aid of an electric trolley but is a bit of a struggle but still able to wiz around the supermarket trolley supported. 

have a review with my neuro in Feb so see how it goes before then 

also booked on a pathway to Parkinson's course in October so hopefully get a few more tips then 

Tom

Thanks for this Eileen very usefull how are u now 

Tom