Went private for Parkinson's Disease confirmation

Hopefully someone can help me I went private to save the 17/45 week wait to see a Neurologist who then confirmed PD but in the letter to my GP the Neurologist mentioned a follow up referral for NHS purposes anyone have any idea when this will be time wise. Incidentally both myself and my GP missed this on the letter to the GP from the Neurologist

Hello Tommy. Sorry to hear of the diagnosis but a warm welcome to the forum. My experience (I also went private for a diagnosis) was that the letter from the neurologist to my GP recommended the treatment which my GP was to prescribe. The neurologist was very positive that the letter would be with my GP so quickly that, within a few days, I could collect the medication from the chemist - and that I would only have to phone my chemist to check that I could collect it. However, after a few days the chemist had not received the prescription - my GP had not received the letter so I contacted the neurologist’s receptionist who advised that the letter had not been written. Just a few days phoning the neurologist’s receptionist each morning and the letter was received by my GP and I could commence treatment - approx a week after diagnosis. It might be worth you phoning your neurologist reception to check the when the letter will be sent. Good luck and best wishes.

Thanks for your reply I have done that after having the same problem as yourself unfortunately both myself and my GP missed the part where it said that I needed referring to an NHS consultant for a follow up appointment at a later stage.

Hi Tommy, I also received my diagnosis privately but using my employers medical insurance. Once your diagnosed with PD the insurance company won’t have anything to do with you. Your then in the hands of the NHS. I was officially diagnosed in September 2017 and then the NHS neurologist appointment was at the end of November. Hope this gives you an idea of timescales. I’m in the north west. However once I was diagnosed privately the neuro did give me a prescription to take straight to my doctor so I could start medication straight away.

Hope this helps

1 Like

The letter from the neurologist which indicated the medication also included that I should be referred to a multi disciplinary team which included a consultant - it was months before I received an appointment with the consultant

Thank you