Wet room extension

Looking to build an extension for a wet room. Can anyone give me advice on where to start? What we need to think about? Size? Do we need an architect etc............Thank you. 

Hello Forest.  You wont need a Architect ,but you will need at least three estimates and if you can check up on the people or person who will be doing the work, there are a few     websites such as checkatrade.com who can give useful advice and  dont pay a penny until you are completely satisfied, once installed you will find it  is of great benefit , you may also be entitled to help with the installation costs check on line or with your Parkinsons Nurse they will inform the community health people who can keep you right. I had my bathroom converted into a wet room as I could not use the bath ,its the best thing I have done and should have had one  long ago

                             hope it goes well  Fedex

Hi Forest. I recently had a wet room built as part of my extension and I am delighted with it. Are you looking to convert an existing room or are you thinking of a new build extension? An extension to the rear of the house doesn't usually need planning permission if it is within certain limits but must comply with building regulations.  I would strongly advise choosing a reputable builder who is a member of the Federation of Master Builders and preferably specialises in accessible buildings. Get at least three quotes and give consideration to things like grab rails and shower seats. If you are going to include a  WC and wash basin I think it would be advisable to get an architect to draw up some plans for the builders to work to. You should be able to get VAT exemption too.  Above all don't rush things. Do your homework. Good luck!