What help is there for Self Employed

I’m 48 diagnosed March 2017 and Self Employed and struggling. where is the help for self employed people. I’ve lost a massive contract becouse I could not cope with the work due to PD, I can only work at Pd speed, some days not at all. But there is no help. PIP is going to be impossible becouse, I can still do things but on slow or dead slow. What does everyone else think, or am I just having a bad PD day?

Hi @Reudyfam,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling with your self employment recently. I definitely feel like PIP would be a good option for you, if it takes you longer to do things then this in itself can qualify you for PIP. A key point would be that for PIP, if at any point you are you not able to do something, then it counts for the full day. For more information and support on this, you can call our helpline service and speak to one of our advisers on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email [email protected].

If your income has dropped significantly as well, you may also want to think about claiming universal credit. You could still continue to work but it should top up your income in the months where it drops too low. For more information on this, you can also speak to a local adviser which you can find on our website here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/local-groups

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi Reudyfam
Hope you’re ok
I was also self employed in the conversation industry when I was diagnosed at 44 three years ago.

The last thing I wanted to do was stop working but I just couldn’t carry on
I too was slow, freezing episodes trembling etc etc and stopped just before I got diagnosed

I applied for pip and was awarded the lowest level at the time

Around 4 months ago I reapplied for pip as I was convinced Id qualify for the higher rate as my PD has got worse

After the assessment I was awarded less points and the pip was stopped but
With the help of Parkinson’s Uk I asked for a recognition and was then awarded the points needed for the highest rate
Also look into ESA benefit ?

I would definitely apply and have a look at how the pip points system works also would highly recommended you talk to Parkinsons uk benefits help line… their ace !

hi thanks for the reply, I will have too phone PUK and get things started, It’s the being selfemployed where you carry on working sick or not . thanks