What makes a diagnosis official?

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s - I posted on the Introductions section about this - but I have not been told personally.

My question is at what point do I have to inform the DVLA and mention the condition when I apply for holiday insurance etc.

My situation is this. I went to a neurologist last November because of a pronounced tremor on my right side. I did not receive a personal letter as a result of this consultation but a copy of the letter sent my GP where I was referred to in the third person as “This gentleman”. This letter said that his symptoms were not typical of Parkinson’s but that an MRI scan would be arranged and after that a DaTScan.

The results of the DaTScan came back this week but again I got no personal letter but a copy of the letter sent to my GP from a different neurologist and again referring to me in the third person as “this gentleman”. This said that the scan was abnormal and showed reduced dopamine on the right side and that together with the symptoms detected by the first neurologist indicated he
had Parkinson’s. It also said that he would not need medication immediately. A separate letter came offering me an appointment in August with the neurologist.

So do I now officially have Parkinson’s or should I wait until August when I should have official confirmation from the neurologist.

Mark

Hello MarkDD
I understand your dilemma. You could ring DVLA and ask their view but personally I would inform them now and not wait. It is the driver’s responsibility to know if they are fit to drive but it is worth remembering this
You could be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA about a condition that might affect your ability to drive safely. You could also be prosecuted if you have an accident.

You could be in an accident that is not your fault but could anyway put you in a difficult position if serious injury was sustained by you or anyone else. Most usually the DVLA will grant 3 year licence in the first instance. It is ultimately your choice and your decision but I wouldn’t want to chance it and would tell them now.
Incidentally letters from hospitals are often written in the third person i have no idea why!

Hi Tot,

You’re right. I have now informed DLVA.

Mark

Hello Mark
I am glad you have decided to do that. All being well there is no reason why you cannot carry on driving for a good many years as many with Parkinson’s do. I hope you are satisfied you have made the right decision for you.
Best wishes
Tot

Mark
I would also notify your car insurance provider. We did this and it made no difference to our premium, level of cover, or renewal offer. It just gives you the confidence that as they know, it cannot be used against you in any future claim. Insurers appear to be happy if DVLA are aware.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of that. I will inform them to make sure I’m covered. Thanks

Hi Tot, looking for thread of conversation about DVLA and licence and found this one. I contacted DVLA at the end of January this year and completed a form, haven’t heard anything back though yet, any idea how long responses take, seems to have taken ages to get a response, thanks in advance! Take care :smile:

Hello there, I remember writing this. In answer to your question I think it depends how quickly they can get the information they need but it does seem you have been waiting quite a long time. I would be inclined to contact them if only to make sure my form hadn’t got lost in the system. The Parkinson’s UK site has info on driving have you seen it?

By the way found contacting them by phone very frustrating. It was some years ago so may be different now - i gave up my licence when I left work. Good luck

Thanks Tot, I may try contacting them, take care

Hi

I got a letter by post on 27 March from the DVLA saying that they were writing to my consultant but they expected there would be a delay. This was soon after I had informed them online.

You ought at least to have got a letter acknowledging receipt of your letter although the actual decision will take a long time.

Mark

Good point MarkDD. Thanks. Hope you are doing ok yourself.
Tot

Hi I did get a standard letter with reference number but that was early March, I was expecting to hear back quite a while ago, just a little worried that as it has taken so long there could be a problem, my photo licence is up in July anyway so hopefully will have some feedback before then! Thanks for reply, take care :smile:

Hi,
I have a similar question. I have had a copy letter from my consultant. It says the DAT scan has shown asymmetry in striatal activity consistently with Parkinson’s. He goes on to say he will arrange to see me in clinic to reassess and go through the result. Can I take that as a diagnosis? This letter was dated 5th May.

I have been trying to contact DVLA as newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Both by telephone and online. They have been taking industrial action early May - telephone answering message gave info. . Also I found that my ordinary licence had expired in October. There was a posting on DVLA site stating due that due to COVID automatic reminders have not been sent out. However apparently my current licence (in theory expired) is valid until September.

I have now resorted to sending off medical questionnaire, duly completed, and await some response from them about renewing my regular licence. It was useful to read the message earlier in the chain about car insurance.