What proportion of victims of parkinson's end up needing to go into a care home?

the subject says it all: what proportion of victims of parkinson’s end up needing to go into a care home? what are the odds? are there any good statistics on this? for example, what percentage of parkinson’s victims 20 years after diagnosis need to enter a care home because their needs can not be met in their own home? does this differ for early onset parkinson’s?

Good evening parkiejoe … I don’t think that is a question that can be answered. Most people with Parkinson’s have other health issues [like me] & it is a combination of all these issues that put one in a care home as well as old age I’d guess.

Best wishes
Steve2

As Steve says it’s highly variable and depends on other illnesses as well as the PD. If someone has good social support they are less likely to need a care home, there are so many factors. I’m not aware of any stats for this.

Young onset PD is supposed to slower in progression but this is not true of all people.

1 Like