What to play music on that is easy to use?

Hi, my Dad has the later stages of Parkinson's with dementia and is now in a nursing home. This weekend we took some music for him to listen to through earphones and it really did make a difference. I was just wondering if anyone could help me on what music player to buy that he would find it easy to use when we are not there? I used my ipod though the buttons are too small and confusing. Any help please as I know this would really help him.

Hello Iini.home.   Try and track down music by Thomas Newman, it is  lovely soothing restful and I am sure your dad will enjoy it, if you go on you  tube and type in   Thomas Newman,, Hauntingly Beautiful  and you will understand, I am sure your father will be as captivated as I was when I first listened to Newmans work.there are a good choice of MPs in currys ,well worth a look.

Peace and Best wishes          Fed

Thank you so much, I will do that. Music does seem so good for the soul and anything to make my Dad feel better also helps me as I feel there is not much else I can do apart for this and be there to love him.

Hi lini,

I found it quite a struggle to operate my mp3 player with my stiff fingers, so I dusted off my old radio/cassette player.

I find it far easier to use - you can pick one up for a song ( no pun intended ) smileon Amazon or Ebay.

Music cassettes are quite cheap too - I`m sure you could find something from your dad`s era that he would enjoy.

Just a thought.

That's great, thank you big grin

Just to let you know that I gave my Dad a music player with 212 songs on and the nursing home said that he is much calmer and is really enjoying listening to the music. smileSeems to be helping him ...

Hi Lini,  Would like to get something for my mum.  She has always loved music but now has PD and dementia and in a home.  She has a radio in her room but she is hardly ever left in there.  She could literally only manage on and off (and even then might need help)- everything else would have to be pre-set.  Which one did you get?

Hi The Choogler,

Here is the link for the one we bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00682EG7W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MEDE9Y35REW62X1MPJ2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=430153987&pf_rd_i=468294#productDescription

Though you just need something very simple. Dad can no longer work it himself so the nursing staff turn it on and off for him and put it on charge when it needs to be. We found the big headphones the best.

It has made a lot of difference and he is very happy to hear the music he loves.

So much so, he is now requesting music he wants to listen to so when I go down this weekend I have loaded more music onto my lap top and will download onto the music player in seconds! He has nearly 300 songs on there now and over 10 hours of listening!

Good luck, music definitely helps x

I cried today because something made me happy. That sounds strange doesn't it?  Let me explain, three years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and probably I had it less obviously for a few years earlier than that.  Any diseasediagnosis is unwelcome and Parkinsons is no different, as you  will know  u get the famous shake , fatigue, lack of coordination, a sort of physical tension in the body and you get pretty anxious.

One effect of all this that has hit me where it hurts is an inability to  play the guitar like I used to. Okay I wasn't that great but it's been my constant companion virtually since I left home something approaching 40 years. When I was stressed out by life and workit was always there like a friend, when I was high on life it was always there like a celebration, when I got bored it was there to drive that boredom away.

So when the perfidious Parkinsons interfered with my ability to play endless 12 bars it was a sorry loss , not to music but to me. Nonetheless I persevered and can do a creditable impression of being in the groove and sometimes actually get in the groove , I still play in a band and I've worked on other skills like harmonica playing and singing to compensate.  It has helped me a lot that the guys I play with have been understanding and I count my blessings, some of the gigs we have done post PD have been as good if not better than before. But it's been very difficult to keep my hand in, the problem being the strain of playing means I just don't get into it like I used to.  You play but you don’t feel it the same, at least not often  .  It’s hard to explain .

Recently I tried a new drug on top of the Madopar/levodopathat I have taken for the last three years, namely Ropinerolea  dopamine agonist. The interesting thing is it seems to be helping and I feel more energetic, less physically tense and importantly to me helps with the guitar playing.  Whilst it's intermittent I have enjoyed several sessions on the guitar which were enjoyable and like I'd never been away, fingers dancing over the fretboard ,  a dream come true, downright bootylicious!

I was talking to someone about this and she said that it was like    

I had lost and found an old friend. I realised she was right but                   

extended the comparison, it's like I've lost and found an old love.

It seems over the top to describe it as such but that's how it feels

and I found I had tears running down my cheeks. 

I don't want to become separated again from my old love

things of course do change and it may well prove to be

a flash in the pan… 

but I guess I just didn't realise how much I was missing it

Music's important. Making music is central; it's how we make sense of ourselves and others. Glad you've been able to recover the ability to play. Make the most of it, I'd say.

Keep on practising and you may even get good enough to play one of Turnip's compositions  . . .

S

LINI.home

Sorry I put my post about the guitar in as a response to your post about a Music player for your DAD.

I am having problems getting to grips with the new FORUM and got a little confused .

Sounds like yuo've got what u need for your Dad ...  I think older people let alone people with

Dementia struggle with modern electronics...  especailly modal controls or /and small controls ... the makers

tend to assume a level of familiarity that thye dont always have ... my Dad likes to have a mechanical type thing .. or at least a tried and tested set sequnece that gets him what he wants .

Maybe u could write an Instuctions Card ...  ie :  1/ Press this  2/ Press that etc

Good luc Ojalahey (aka Andy in Brum)

Andy, I am so glad you put your posts on, it was the perfect thing for me to read this morning as Dad has been taken to hospital from the nursing home and I wanted a cuddle and some understanding and that is exactly what I got when I read your posts.

I love music too and I have just found my bliss, passion whatever you call it! I am a writer and so I completely understand when you talk about playing your guitar.

Wishing you the best of everything life can offer and sending you a massive hug and big thanks.

Enjoy life, that is what we are here for.

with love

Lindasmile