What walking aids do you use if any?

I hope this is the right place to post this question.
I am interested to know what walking aids you use if any that includes any to help keep your balance
At present I use crutches but it’s becoming more difficult to walk with them and keep my balance so looking for something else.
That’s why I thought I would ask you lovely people
for what you found best and helpful.
I am 57 female have COPD and rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia
Thank you

Hi,
My balance is still generally very good and I do not use walking aids on a day to day basis. However, I was referred to the Surgical Appliance Dept at the local hospital as I do not lift my left foot smoothly. They supplied a device called AFO -Ankle Foot Orthosis extra strong which is basically a thin plastic insole complete with a section that comes behind your calf and fastens round the top of your calf with a Velcro strap. It works very well when walking over rougher ground and helps prevent scuffing your toes into the ground and/or losing your balance. They also supplied a simpler device that has a strap above your ankle linked to a strap under the shoes tongue by an elasticated strap. It performs the same function but I prefer the first item.

If you need crutches these may not be sufficient but it may be worth looking into.

Best Wishes.

Must be worth trying a walker/triwalker/rollator – they have so many different names. I could not get used to a stick, my biggest problem is balance and a stick made it worse by only supporting me on one side. I have a triwalker on loan from local NHS which I find best for getting on and off buses, and a rollator I bought from the Parkinsons catalogue which is best if walking longer distances because you can stop and use it as a seat.
best of luck

Thanks Mosie
I use 2 crutches but am struggling with them so I have got a rollator so will see how that goes and talk to my parkinsons nurse when I have my first appointment in a couple of weeks.

My dad started with a walking stick but after a number of years he now uses a rolator unless it’s a really long distance when we would use the wheelchair. He also has a golf buggy to whizz round in.

I think I will have to look into having something help me in doors.
I may wait until i see my parkinsons nurse on the 2nd, I had another fall this morning.
I managed to get myself to the stairs and pull myself up that way.
I dont think my knees will be able to take any more lol.

My dad had quite a few falls before he was diagnosed (after recovering from cancer). He struggled to get back up but luckily since meds etc hasn’t had one since. He wasn’t initially happy when I got the aids but I said they were really only as a preventative measure and to use them on his bad days. Even now, on good days he doesn’t need them but are there when he does to give him independence (& keep him safe)

I was introduced to a type of Nordic Pole called Activator. They have a ledge at the top instead of the usual loop, and by pushing down on this this one is helped to stay upright. I use them for walking round the garden and for walking in general, but, of course, cannot carry anything at the same time. If i need to take a bag or something with me, then i use a 4 wheel rollator, as i can hang the bag on the handle. Mostly i use a “bumbag” as it keeps my hands free for other things.

good luck.

I to have a bumbag never thought of using it in doors.

Hi all,

I’ve been using a nordic type of stick for over a year now and it’s been quite successful. However it’s effectiveness is wearing off now. I have got a three wheeled walker which gives me more confidence outdoors.

During my research I have come across a U-Step stabiliser https://attainability.co.uk/u-step/ Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Keith

I have two different 4 wheel walkers, one being quite an expensive, but lightweight , version from Sweden, which has a bag , and stick holders and a tray can be fitted.

The seat holds about 21 stone but you do need to buy a back support for safety, and the design keeps the brake cables in the frame so that they do not get caught up in things.

There are three or four versions available.

The other Walker is very much cheaper (from Aldi) , but more substantial and heavier, and I now use this on a daily basis, keeping the other for holidays, restaurants (remember them?) etc.

Both are easily folded and very very importantly, both have larger front wheels than rear wheels which makes it easier to travel through rougher terrain , sand gravel , and go over curbs etc.

I still have a three wheel Walker , which i consider to be quite dangerous if you have a balance problem, like me , or if you get caught in longish grass etc as it will tip over very easily- this is just my opinion, based on my experience, others may have different opinions?

I fall over frequently but usually fall backwards! I don’t have any aids but wouldn’t know what might be any good for falling backwards?

Hi Caroline,

Prevention is better than cure obviously, and there are a range of things that can be done at home especially to help with falling, and which I have and can confirm do help no end!

It may be a major upheaval but if it saves broken bones, concussion etc then probably worth it , and the no 1 solution I found was to remove floor carpets in
each room that I use , and replace them with smooth wooden flooring, no2. Is to make sure that any shoes you wear ( indoors anyway ) have smooth bottoms .

Then I have put dado rails around the walls , and grab handles in different places and rails on the stairs - btw , I keep a walking aid upstairs permanently, so that I don’t need to carry anything upstairs.

I noticed that my eyesight was getting worse and occasionally confused me, and I decided to pay a visit to the optician , who prescribed new specs which help with Balance.

I don’t know if there is any frame to help with backward falling, but a slight change of lifestyle may help I.e. start using a Walker/ rollator with a seat and backrest to scoot about the house- I also use a wheel chair occasionally for the same purpose!

You can get a lightweight 2 in 1 rollator which can be used as normal but also as a transit wheelchair?

It may be that the cost of equipment is covered by the Local Authority?

Hope it all works out for you.

Regards,

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. For some reason most of my falls happen the kitchen andI land on the hard ceramic floor, usually banging my head on the cupboards.

Not sure where I would put grab rails in the kitchen but I like the idea of a wheelie chair, might have to look into that one

Regards

Caroline

1 Like

Hi @carolineb211
Just jumping into this thread from one that I started but got no replies…I have recently invested in a bump cap ( a reinforced baseball cap) , some “ snow pants” basically reinforced boxer shorts with hip and butt protection) and some “ body armour” which protects back and shoulders…because whatever else I do, my husband falls frequently and his back is a mass of grazes… and he was at risk of serious head injury. He is awaiting a “ helmet” courtesy of the NHS which may not look great but will stay on his head…the bump cap is too easily removed. Needs must and all that.
Regards,
Pippa

Unfortunately my dad passed away in nov 2019, not Parkinson’s related.

With reference to the falls, we found that if he took strong black coffee (initially in the morning, but especially with meds) he was much less likely to fall. There has been research on this and it’s been shown to help with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s and reducing falls in older people. We found it helped dad’s mobility and speech and I could tell how much coffee he had had by how he was. Downside was needing the loo more but upside was better quality of life