When to go into a care home

Hi

My mum 74 has just had an emergency heart operation and is the primary carer for my dad 72 who has had Parkinson’s for 18 years.

During her recovery we will have a full time carer in the house but after that I feel that it’s time my dad moves out to a care home. I know Mum will feel guilty but he causes her a lot of stress and I’m very worried about her heart and blood pressure. I thought that maybe he could do part time care home, one week in and one week out but I can’t find ones that do that. Does anyone have any advice about when they decided to go into a care home? It’s more the mental side of his Parkinson’s that is the hardest but he has always refused counselling to manage his anger and irrationality. He’s had a couple of stays in a home before and hated it so if anyone has any advice on that too it would be great. People find it very difficult to understand him so he didn’t make any friends when he went in to one before which is why he hated it.

Hi @Liyzke,

A warm welcome to the Parkinson’s UK forum.

I’m so sorry to hear about your Mum’s recent heart operation, this must have been really distressing for your family. I’m sure you’ll receive some useful advice and warm welcomes from our members, but in the meantime, it would probably be helpful for you to explore our ‘home care and care home’ page on our website here, https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/home-care-and-care-homes.

You can contact our helpline and speak to one of our friendly advisers who will be happy to assist you further with this. Please feel free to call them on 0808 800 0303.

Hope this helps with your query.

Best wishes,
Reah