Who to call?

Hi I am not sure where to put this on the forum but was just wondering what number’s someone should call to access care for parkinson.

I understand he can get access to a parkinsons nurse through his GP.

Are there any other places he can get in touch with? He needs help at home too.

Many thanks

Hi poppop690, you should have had a Parkinson’s nurse assigned to you following the diagnosis from the neurologist. Normally you would see the PD nurse 6 monthly and ideally the consultant once a year (but obviously the pandemic put all face to face appointments on hold.) However we have recently seen our consultant after two years so hopefully things are returning to normal. I find the PD nurses very helpful and I’m sure they would point you in the right direction for some extra help at home if you now feel you need it. Also find out who your local Parkinson’s advisor is. They are extremely helpful in non- medical matters and can help with applying for any benefits etc you could be entitled to as a carer for someone with PD. Good luck. Jean

Thank you. He has finally seen a neurologist 3 years after being diagnosed. No mention of a nurse though so I assume I should contact GP.

Hi, glad to hear you have at last seen your consultant. I’m surprised that he/she didn’t also give you contact details for a PD nurse as they work alongside each other, and in fact we’ve always found the nurses a great source of help and info when dealing with PD in everyday life. They can also prescribe and alter drugs. Our consultant and nurses are based at the Walton Centre in Liverpool so not sure how PD nurses are sourced in other parts of the country. Perhaps just contact the consultant’s secretary as she would point you in the right direction I’m sure. Hope you can get to speak with a nurse soon as they have so much to offer you.

I was diagnosed with PD 3 weeks ago and contacted my doctors surgery to ask about a Parkinsons nurse and was told that they didn’t or don’t have one so I have an appointment with a doctor in two weeks time.

Can I approach a Parkinsons nurse directly?

Hello Duneman, I think the way to contact PD nurses is via your consultant after initial diagnosis. This was the case for us 6 years ago. Alternatively you should have access to your local PD advisor who should be able to let you know of the Parkinson’s nurses services in your area. I hope you manage to sort it out. Good luck.

1 Like

Hello @poppop690 :wave:,

I’m very glad to see that others have come by to share their thoughts. Thanks @Jean1 ! :blue_heart:

On top of what has already been said, you should know that the Parkinson’s UK helpline is also available to you. Our advisers are knowledgeable and supportive - they will not only be able to offer suggestions, but resources as well. They can help you navigate the channels to get Parkinson’s care for him. You can give them a call on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Joy
Forum Moderation Team

1 Like

You can also join your local branch of Parkinson’s uk and these groups can be a great help. There should also be a welfare person attached to the local organisation they will help with benefits
She filled in all my mums forms for the blue badge and attendance allowance