Work

Hi there
My husband who 41 has been diagnosed in last 2wks. But has had increasing symptoms since 2020. He’s got very little use of his left hand now and a weak L leg. But still walks well and is capable otherwise. Over the last 6months his symptoms have escalated and has to some degree affected his work (senior role), but he’s still done everything as he should and met his deadlines. Work have obviously caught wind that something is going on with his various hospital appointments and they have definitely shifted gear with him. Borderline bullying, monitoring, and a very long list of other things. I think it’s because the business is not preforming well and he’s now an easy target in their mind “not meeting their expectations” as one director said.
What do we do?
I really don’t want him to lose his job for his own mental health, but also knowing it will be harder for him to find a new role with is current disabilities.
The whole thing has been so traumatic for our whole family and now this.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Hello Cward
It makes my blood boil when I hear things like that…Your husband does not have to divulge his diagnosis unless he wishes too but he does have a right to expect support from his employers. I would strongly encourage you to seek advice from the helpline number below, along with links from the Parkinson’s UK website regarding employment and Parkinson’s. Borderline bullying or anything else has absolutely no place in the workplace for anyone and
That your husband is being subjected to such actions when so newly diagnosed and trying to come to terms with all that may mean for both of you and the family is a difficult enough adjustment period without totally inappropriate behaviour by his employers.

Please do ring and get some advice because this absolutely should not be happening.

Do let us know how you get on and if there are any other questions please do not hesitate to come back to the forum

Sending you my very best wishes.
Tot

Helpline 0808 800 0303

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply, it’s appreciated.
Tbh I can’t quite believe they are acting the way they are… it’s quite shocking.
My husband is having a meeting with one of directors today. He’s decided to tell them officially about his diagnosis and highlight some of the grievances. On paper, recorded.
They haven’t given him any official warnings, so there actions will have to be very carefully considered going forward now. I have been in touch with an employment solicitor and have gotten some really good advice.
I will keep you posted
Thank you again

I do hope your husband’s meeting went well Cward. People can only divulge their diagnosis when the time is right for them and for some that can take years. Personally I have always been very open about my Parkinson’s once I had my formal diagnosis, it saves people second guessing wrongly since it is almost impossible to hide everything that is happening. Nevertheless that doesn’t excuse the way your husband has been treated Parkinson’s or not and like you it’s hard to believe why any employer should act in this way. You simply don’t treat anyone like that. I’n glad you’ve been proactive and got some good advice, the fact that you shouldn’t have to is another thing altogether. Please do let us know how things are going. Your experience may well help someone in a similar position who is perhaps not ready to bring it to the forum at the moment. The key thing to remember is that is they who are in the wrong not your husband, who has the right to support from his employers. This sort of thing can grind you down to the point of doubting yourself, so always remind yourself of this at those times when you feel like you can’t keep bashing your head against a brick wall. Hopefully it won’t come to that.
Tot

1 Like

Good evening Cward … I think it is a very good idea for your husband to tell his employers. It may be that they thought his “odd behaviour” was caused by drinking or that he did not care about his work. Them knowing he has Parkinson’s should hopefully change the way they treat him.

I don’t work but have told nearly everybody that I have Parkinson’s & it has helped me & them & I have had a number ask questions, which is good.

Best wishes
Steve2

1 Like

Thanks Steve, they do know something medical is going on… because he’s been off for numerous hospital appointments. BUT I get the impression they are trying to catch him out before he gets a diagnosis…, or at the very least make it so uncomfortable for him he wants to leave. Just today they’ve passed over a project that they know is physically impossible to complete by Monday. He’ll have to work all weekend to do it… :rage: It’s infuriating! But I’m in full on mamma / wife bear mode and they’ve got another coming if they think their ‘tactics’ will work. He’s incredibly good as his job. I will not let them win. Hubby has been through enough, all he wants to do is earn a living for as long as this horrible disease will let him

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice
Will do!
Sorry you had to deal with that! X

1 Like

Hello Cward … No problem, always good to let off some steam.

Best wishes
Steve2

1 Like

Hi. Never forget that your husband will have the protection of the Equality Act on the grounds of disability. Once he tells his employer they are obliged to make reasonable adjustments. These could be lots of things including working from home etc.

1 Like

Hi,

He needs to ask to be referred to his occupational health department. They can assess him and support him with making reasonable adjustments for his employer to implement which he will have to do by law under the Equality Act 2010. A occ health service will not disclose his medical condition unless he consents that he wishes for this but they will provide supportive mechanisms for him to function in the workplace effectively and safely. If the employer is not aware he has a condition the cannot be reasonably expected to know and this has been tested in court of law.

I would suggest he asks for a referral and is properly assessed so he can be fully supported.

Please get him to speak to his management re a referral and getting adjustments in place as this would be in his best interests and also for the employer too as they can’t support him effectively if they don’t know what they need to do.

1 Like

I am guessing that your husband may not think of himself as having a disability so it may take considerable adjustment from him to do so. In fact it has certain advantages – blue badge, PIP, etc. But rather more relevant in this case is that it brings him extra rights at work, and maybe his employer, assuming he is an employee, might be able to benefit in some ways as employing a worker with a disability can provide them with grants to provide necessary equipment to help their workers, for example. This will all require some thinking and reassessment by your husband and his employers, and not all employers are good at adjusting to their workers’ needs changing. But hopefully things can work out to your husband’s definite advantage, and I have nothing but admiration for his determination to remain gainfully employed in the face of such a rotten illness.

1 Like

It’s a tiny company
There is no occupational health and external HR… basically it’s a very awkward environment for this sort of issue

We have taken legal advice and he’s so do have an official meeting with the director at some point next week.

So we’ll see how it goes from there

Thank you for your reply

In an ideal world that would happen
But the director basically can’t be bothered with it. I think he feels he’s got enough on his plate….

I’m hoping things will improve once they have their meeting
But I’m not holding my breath

Small company or not Cward, he still has a duty of care to his employees and even if that was not so, your husband has every right to be treared with dignity and respect. I wish you both well and hope the company do right by your husband.
Tot