Hi I have being diagnosed with Parkinson's in February this year.

I am 52 . I have been working in warehouse environments for years driving fork lift trucks

and also manual duties, picking, packing etc. I feel so tired sometimes and my legs really

ache, so sitting down helps. The company I work for has now relocated approx 150 miles 

away. I am in a quandary now not sure do I tell job centre about my condition,

or see if I can claim esa or pip I think it is. At work I was earning about £1200

pcm and I am pretty sure benefits won't come near to that.

Are there any other benefits I can claim at all?

kind regards




Hi Soleil,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure other members will be along soon to share their experiences.

Meanwhile, please feel free to call our Helpline advisers on 0808 800 0303. They will be happy to talk to you about your work options and benefits. We are open from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm and Saturday: 10am-2pm.

You can also search for local support options here: and browse our employment and benefits publications at: Hope this helps.

Best wishes,


Moderation Team


150 miles each way each day?? have you followed them to do that each day, that would be tiring on its own, let alone fatigue from parkinsons?.Are you still employed with them or finished?.

You could make an appointment too see citizens advice or your local support worker before going too the job centre to see where you stand personally.

ESA is designed for those unfit for work(support group) or those who may in the future (work related activity group, wrag) so if you claim that you'll have to think about your status now and in the near future, it pays 73.10 pre assessment or 102 currently when assessed in either group, with a little more if you are placed in the support group (£125), this changes in april  2017 for wrag new claimants just 73.10, so consider wisely are you fit for work?.

Pip is designed to meet extra costs disabilities and illnesss such as ours 73.10 or 125 isn't going to cover much is it in reality if you were earning 1200 a month, whether in work or not, you could claim it for example to keep yourself in a way in work(or money) at least in a lesser job, there are two rates standard and enhanced for daily living and mobility. standard lving is 52? and enhanced 80 i think? mobility standard is 20 something and enhanced 50 something. there is a assessment for that too and you have to wait too see what you are awarded.


Hi sea angler

thanks for your post, very useful information, We have all been made redundant so

now I need to find something else, maybe I could retrain and do a less physically

demanding job. I have also contacted my local support worker, just waiting to hear back.

thank you

Hi Edwina

Thank you for your help

take care