Working Parkies

I have a relatively stressful job which I love, most of the time my tremor is there but not very noticeable.
Meetings are another matter. because I am sitting and my hands are idle and feeling slightly anxious (nothing that worries me particularly as a rule)the tremor is much worse. Does anyone else experience this?

What do you do about it.

All my colleagues know about my PD so it is not as though I try to hide it but it still goes into overdrive when i meet up with the boss or a new parent of a child I am working with.

I am always honest and tell them I have PD and to ignore it when my arm does it's own thing but it still happens.

Any ideas?
Hi caroline

Sadly I doubt there is anything we can do to stop the tremor as it is part of the parkinson's. However, I always hold my left arm behind my back when chatting to people. Hoping they do not notice.
I was sat in the Doctors waiting room, and as usual had to wait ages. This is when I struggle to control my tremor as I start to get anxious. And people do then notice as I can not control what is happening. It's a pain!!!!!!!!

Not much help sorry

PB x
Know how you feel. My P started with my leg bouncing off the floor so I should be used to it, now it leg and arm left side. I tend to just get on with things now but I usually warn people before, went for a test drive, told the car salesman
don't worry if I shake, I do it all the time but am in control when driving. Usually I find people tend to look at me more if I am not with them. Unfortunately as meds can cause tremor not a lot you can do. Sorry!!!!
Don't try and hide it but make sure the right people know what your problem is before the rumours start as to why you are shaky. I not only have to deal with at work (do site visits for construction work and can't climb ladders safely any more and often can't drive to meetings) but I'm also a District Councillor and last year was Chairman of the Council(same as a Mayor).
I now Chair our finance audit committee and often have to speak in public at planning meetings etc. and on a bad day sometimes find it difficult to speak fluently. Just take your time and don't get flustered. I announced at my civic reception last year that I had PD and that way it gets it out in the open
Some people may not be comfortable with letting others know you have PD and indeed with some employers you could probably say goodbye to your job. Remember you and your family are the ones that have to live with this thing so do what feels right to you.
I work for my LA, and they have been great, i was even given a promotion despite the PD !. I am very lucky I know !

Most people who know me, know i have PD which does take some of the pressure off.I guess I just have to live with the tremor !!

Caroline
Hi Caroline how you? I to work through the local authority and sit in a number of meetings, in fact I chair most of them. I know what you mean when you talk about your tremor, but the advice received so far is good.

You can tell people and be open, however, I know this can become annoying so personally when I've had enough I sit on my hand, this at least keeps it still for a while!

On other things have you consulted access to work? They will continue to support you in the workplace, in fact I'm typing this by using a Dragon headset provided by them and I have a number of other adaptions at work partially funded by the programme. Your employer should also have made plans with you to manage your disability within the workplace as this is a requirement under the terms of DDA.

Good luck with the job and congratulations on the promotion!:grin:
Hi I`ve just read your posts and think you are all good role models. You have all kept on working even though you all have pd and a variety of symptoms. I gave up my job last April as i found i was struggling more & more. I am lucky as i worked for my husband doing accounts work, my job involved keyboard skills, meetings etc. and meeting deadlines. I did find people noticed the tremor but i was quite open about my pd and most of my colleague new i had it, but the biggest hurdle was overcoming the anxiety. Now i work from home (part time) and feel much more relaxed but really miss the interaction with other people.I don`t think its always the right thing to do (give up work) as i feel like i`m giving in to my pd but only we know how we are coping. I did find the stress made my pd worse and i feel much better now.

My new years resolution is to pluck up the courage to start something new maybe an art course? i just need the motivation!:rolling_eyes:
Hi Caroline, like you I have a stressful job and sit in meetings, and if I am the slightest bit tense my tremor gets worse....my solutions are not rocket science but if I can I either sit on my hand, which tends to dull the tremor, or put it on the desk with the other arm folded over it, to squash it flat. I find that breathing consciously and telling myself to listen carefully to the meeting can sometimes transfer the stress to other parts of the body which don't shake. If I need to write anything down though I'm stuffed as it is the tremor arm. If I have to explain I say my arm's not working very well and it happens sometimes. Sometimes I find myself using the other arm to gesture while talking which I think is partly to let people know I'm not nervous just got one dodgy arm!
Good on you all for carrying on . Think you have a golden opportunity to educate some people, including maybe bosses, that tremor is just tremor,and nothing more doesnt make you any less able. Maybe it happens more if you're a bit nervous or needing to concentrate more.

I know an eminent Buddhist Monk who teaching thousands of people how to meditate, how to concentrate, he also has parkies and his tremor is more when he is explaining some of the finer points of philsophy. He just carries on and everyone respects him more . love Sunray
I just say my hands don't work very well. And I always hold a pen so I can fiddle with it rather than shake.
I have this problem too. I think it might be that when I've got extra adrenalin going around I haven't enough dopamine to balance it; (is that physiologically feasible?) If I mention it I just say I've a 'neurological problem which makes my hand shake sometimes' I don't think I need to tell strangers my medical history. I also find fidgeting with a pen or something helps. I'm looking for a smart pair of work trousers with side pockets to put my hand in when standing to do a presentation.
My experience has been different. I was working for an LA too, and believing all their policies re disability etc., as soon as I was diagnosed I told them (against the advice of some of the older relatives in my family, but I thought times had changed). What a mistake. They were all immediately gossiping about me, making my life deliberately more difficult (especially my line manager) and in the end, I moved back to working in schools - but even there, it can be a problem! I don't know why, and I feel like saying to them that it's hard enough dealing with this, without having to deal with them and their prejudices too. I have been to Occupational Health, who were fantastic, and said any such discrimination or behaviour would be contravening the DDA - but the Headteacher still wants to see me after half-term, and I know that meeting won't be pretty because she has already suggested various ways that I might stop working. Despite government policy. With Mr P in tow, I am so unready and unwilling for a fight! - It's kicking someone when they're down, that's all it is.