YOPD and worried / Looking for advice on Meds

Hi All,

Been a while since I’ve been on here and to be honest had pretty much given up on ever being normal or feeling normal again.

I am a 32 year old and am now going to be put on Levodopa for the first time. Neuro put me on a number of other tablets prior to this and am on a reasonably high dose of clonazepam to assist with REM and my left hand tremor.

Basically am just looking for advice to what to expect with Levodopa and any side affects? My neuro’s & GP are nice, but awful at explaining, even after asking several times. My GF has had enough and we are switching to private, but enough of me now, otherwise feel I will type a novel at this rate…

Many thanks in advance,
Jim

Hi @Jamesvana,

Nice to see you back on the forum.

We understand that starting on medication can be really daunting especially when you consider the potential side effects so you’re definitely not alone if you’re feeling concerned.

Levodopa is a chemical building block that your body converts into dopamine. Levodopa already occurs naturally in your body and taking it as a drug treatment boosts the supply, meaning the nerve cells can make more dopamine. We have more information on this on our website along with information on side effects which you can find here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/levodopa.

You can also speak to one of advisers via our helpline about this in more detail, they have a lot of knowledge on Parkinson’s related medication. They can also put you in contact with a Parkinson’s nurse within 24 hours. Do give us a call on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email [email protected].

I hope you find this info helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

Thank you Reah!

Best wishes,
Jim