YOPD cognitive issues main symptom

Is my understanding correct on this?
There is Parkinsons and a-typical Parkinsons.

Many a-typical Parkinsons are worse and cause dimentia and early death.

I’m having a heck of a time getting to a doctor that is knowledgeable enough to answer these questions. I also live abroad so there’s a language barrier.

I have rigidity, slowness, tightness in my right side. Absolutely have trouble doing multiple tasks, cannot hardly think. Dizziness/Perception issues. Million other things but those are my main issues.

1. What kind of tests can they do to say whether you have Parkinsons or a-typical Parkinsons… mostly want to cancel out the bad ones.

2. For someone with PD is there any medications that slow progression? (I’ve heard conflicting things on this)

3. Would it be better for someone with YOPD to start Levodopa later than sooner if they can hold off? Afaik the effects fade.

I have called the number on the forum, but I don’t currently live in the UK (I go to school there) so it seems there are some questions they can’t answer because I’m out of the country.

Hi @yopdidontknow, :wave:t4:

It can be quite challenging to offer help and support to people who live outside of the UK, however, I have passed this information onto our helpline team and will get back to you as soon as possible with some advice.

Best wishes,
Reah

Thank you very much Reah!

1 Like

Hi @yopdidontknow, :wave:t5:

I’ve spoken to our helpline team they have encouraged you to give them a call as you can access our Parkinson’s nurse - they can speak to you very generally about the effects of medication and when people start taking medication. However, I must make it clear that they cannot help people to access or prescribe medication. Do give us a call on 0808 800 0303 Monday to Friday: 9am to 6pm Saturday: 10am to 2pm. Our helpline is closed on Sundays and bank holidays.

It would be good to know where you are from to see if we can provide you with information about your local Parkinson’s organisation/s. In the meantime, please see the the links below about Parkinson’s organisations worldwide might be helpful:

https://www.worldpdcoalition.org/page/Partners

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah