Breathing and coughing problems

Hi all,

I’m a Biomedical science student from the Netherlands and I have a few questions concerning breathing and coughing in people with Parkinson’s disease for my research. Breathing and coughing problems seem to be underestimated among doctors when treating Parkinson’s disease patients so I’m wondering how you experience these problems?

What type of breathing and/or coughing problems do you experience because of Parkinson’s disease (for example, pain when breathing or being out of breath faster than you used to or maybe your cough is less powerful then it used to be)? Maybe you do not experience any breathing and/or coughing problems at all because of Parkinson’s disease.

How big of an impact do these problems have on you daily life (for example do you avoid certain situations because of your breathing and/or coughing problems or do you sleep less because of these problems)?

Do you notice a difference in breathing or coughing when you are in “OFF” state compared to your “ON” state (for example do you experience more wheezing)?

Do you experience any anxiety because of your breathing and/or coughing problems caused by Parkinson’s disease?

I’d also like to know your age if possible and also at what age you were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

This is not an official questionnaire but I’m just very curious what type of breathing and coughing problems people with Parkinson’s disease deal with and how it affects their daily lives!

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

I am a 65 year old female diagnosed with PD eight year ago, have had a cough for nearly two years now. Annoying cough that can start at any time during the day (not much problem with it at night time with sleep) It is spadmodic, it causes my nose to run and my eyes to water, it can cause me to gag and sometimes be sick. I’ve had a camera up my nose and down as far as my throat but nothing was detected. I feel it has something to do with my throat, it usually starts with a tickle on the left side of the throat, this is the side I am effected with the PD. I was told by the GP it could be ‘silent reflux’ and was prescribed Lansoprosil , this had no effect whatsoever. The cough also effects my voice in that it goes more quite after a bout. I have now been told by the GP that he can not do anything more for me. I fail to see that he has done much at all for me! By the way I have no problem with my breathing.

Shefinn

Chris,

Would you mind explaining the purpose of your questions .? You imply it is because you are “very curious” ?

What if anything do you intend to do with the information you obtain.

Research ? Members of this forum are usually those with PD or their carers.

I am unsure whether the forum should be used to satisfy people’s curioristy, it is a forum not a zoo.

Apologies if you have permission from pduk to do so or if I am being overprotective of a caring and supportive forum.

Never thought of it in that way Teehee, thought this Chris might be able to come up with some answers for me, cos at the minute no one else can! Clutching at straws!! Or living in (false) hope. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Current age 72. Diagnosed at age 72 (6 months ago). I do not experience any breathing and/or coughing problems at all because of Parkinson’s disease.

Hi @ChrisW,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I appreciate that you’re student, however can you elaborate on the purpose of your questions? Our forum is a place where people affected by Parkinson’s can share experiences, exchange views and support one another.

If you’d like information on research opportunities, please get in touch with our research team to discuss your research needs and they will advise you on the appropriate next steps. You can contact them at [email protected].

Many thanks,
Reah

1 Like

Sheffin, I got rid of persistent months-long winter coughs, triggered by a throat ‘tickle’, with 2000 IU per day vitamin D3. Check out slides 17-19 in my D3 talk

I never get ‘colds’ nowadays. UK NHS appears to be unaware of the USA and Canada results.

@ ChrisW It is well known that PD is associated with low serum D3 levels.Hope my talk gets you started on uncovering a link between D3 and respiratory viral infections.

Peter

Thanks PeterC, I will certainly look into that, very interesting!

I was hospitalised about 14 months ago because my breathing was shallow and fast. I have been experiencing this more and more and despite my condition being witnessed by my GP and a number of Doctors at the hospital they failed to link it to my PD. After doing some reading on this is clear to me that levodopa is the cause. I have been taking it for approx 13 years and take about 800mg per day.
Has anyone also experienced this?

Yes, thank goodness someone has this problem as well as myself !! Even my Neurologist said my cough was nothing to do with PD. I cannot remember when I was actually started on Sinimet (Carbidopa/Levadopa 25/100) but my cough started in 2016 and still have it, and I now have slight breathing problem along with it. I take three Sinimet per day twentyone per week. Where did you actually source your info from to make you so clear that it is the Levadopa to blame. If this so right, I can ask if there is an alternative medication that I can be prescribed I am so p----- off with my cough I have got to get something sorted with it, and I do hope that the Levadopa is the problem :hugs: :hugs: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes - thank you juju for your input Sheila:

Hi I think this disease is so hard to treat as it affects us all differently. It changes hour to hour.

Levadopa is still the magic treatment. However we don’t use it all up some days and sometimes we need more.

I think we need to work closely with our neurologist to determine the right combinations for us. appointments 12 and 6 months apart does not work.

I have started to record my medication and how I feel between doses in the hope that this will better inform my consultant as to what is happening to me, so they between us we can get the best from a treatment regime.

The helpline on this site is a great sources of information and support.

JUJU

One of the sources I found

I am not sure if we can direct contact each other via this site. I will find out and maybe we can help each other

1 Like

@juju you can direct message someone by clicking on a profile picture and selecting Message.

Thank you

1 Like