DBS. A year on

I had DBS installed in March 2015.  Earlier this week, I was assessed to gauge my progress.

My medication was stopped the night before.  I could just about bathe and dress myself though walking involved a lot of shuffling and gripping of door frames.  I could still tie my own shoelaces (Jubilation!).  My assessment started at 9.00am and would take the whole morning.  I was given a memory test and videoed performing various tasks.  Then my DBS was switched off and I performed the tasks again.  I was a mess.  When asked to walk, I stood up and tried to walk, but I couldn't!  I could not put one foot in front of the other.  The messages were just not getting through to my feet.  My body's thermostat was going wild and I was overheating.  I was not a happy person.  I then took my standard medication and my DBS was switched back on.  After 45 minutes I performed the tasks yet again and was much better.

On the whole, I am glad I had DBS installed.  I am on pretty much the same medication I was on before DBS.  The only thing I would change is I wish I had managed my expectations better.  The various spectacular YouTube videos of people switching off/on their DBS coloured my view and made it far too rosy.  My DBS has not been spectacular, I cannot leap tall buildings, I just feel better.  The thing I am happiest about is that I feel far more positive, I no longer slump in my tatty armchair waiting for my pills to kick in.  I do things and think things.

I wish you well.

Peter.

Thanks for that, Peter.  I had my DBS 4 weeks ago and am blogging to keep track of my progress following the operation. It is very much a work-in-progress, but the period from my operation up to the present date will be complete in the next few days. If you are interested in having a read, you will find it at www.dbsacompletenobrainer.co.uk or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/dbsacompletenobrainer/

Cheers,

Ian