Dla

we have appointment on the 20th with disability group to help fill in dla for my hubby but my friend has just told me that it may have been their fault so lost her claim as they didnt make a good job of filling in her form!
now I dont know whether to do it myself. both my boys have middle care and lower mobility.1 has lifetime award. the other 5 years.
i have written down all his symptoms.but its difficult to know how long you take to do things like showering brushing teeth ect not like your going to time yourself.is it.
Im so worried as we are having difficulty with finances.
any help would be appreciated
Have you tried reading this whole thread. I've put a completed form on the first page to give you ideas.............

wakey wakey

Poker
Poker, sharp as ever! :grin: Carol
Carol, there are plenty of cycles with stone wheels been peddled in this joint......placimg ones neck in the right position to get honed takes a little practise.

lol:wink:call me sean bean :wink:king george commamds and we obey:wink::wink:o'er the hills and far away
Poker,message understood, keep up the good work, Carol
Hello, i was dx in oct 06 aged 45 (having ignored it for years ).Finaly after 10 months of fighting appeals and a tribunal,i was awarded high mobility and high care allowance in Dec 07 ! Both these were awarded indefinately , does it mean that i am not subject to review ? because to go through that again would be horrible .

Robert
MY DLA award makes no mention of time - i am on the higher rate of mobility and often wonder about applying for the care part but when i phoned about it they said remember when you apply your award could go down as well as up and it sort of scared me. I know it is what they have to tell everyone, and i also know i have got worse rather than better, but it put me off just now. Must also say though that they were very helpful on the phone.
Hi
I just thought it was worth bringing this thread to the front again as the post from Jupiter is so helpful.
Regards,
Weedy
Hi,
I'm still waiting to hear about my dla.I'm wondering if anyone knows if I do get dla will it effect other benifets.
Dot x
Hi Dotty, in answer to your question, no. DLA does not affect any other benefits that you recieve. It isnt taken into account when they assess. hope this helps
Regards
Glenchass
Still not applied for the higher rate, care & mobility, 11 years after diagnosis.

Are we being too naiive??
Hi Glenchass,
I worry about everything,I don't even know if I will get dla yet.I have never been the one in charge of finances etc.it scares me.I am now on income support but the lady at job center said, as probably wont be able to go back to work that there was some other benefit that might be better to have instead of income support.
How many weeks is the average to hear back from dla?
Thanks Dot x
usually about 8weeks ,but dont hold ur breath cus mine was questioned needed 2nd opion cus dx at 34,so took 12 weeks ,but they do back date it to the date they receive ur application
Hi Dotty,
I have waited 12 weeks to hear from DLA,I got help from a resource
group, I didn't think I would get it and my daughter who works for
DWP told me I would probably have to get a medical and not to hold my breath, but lo and behold I got and envelope today from them and it was so thick I thought that it was to fill in more forms but not so, they have given care and mobility allowance for the near future with a view to assessing at a later date. Don't give up if you have one try one of these groups they are clued up on these things and help with appeals and such. All the best.

Marymo:grin:
igot dla middle care high mobility this took me 15 weeks to get it the doc at hosptail would not have eny thing to do with it so my gp had to send in a report then they the dla still not happy so sent there own doc to see me asked me allsorts then on the way out he siad to me how did you get pd i said donot kown he said good answer take care so donot lose heart as others have said you will get it back to date when you put it in
I got top rate DLA mobility, but had to appeal twice.
I get the higher rate for care and mobility from the DLA. Its very important the way that the forms are completed. I knew this prior to my application because my sister worked for a firm that assisted people to appeal against benefit decisions. I took my forms to the the CAB. They have somebody trained to complete the forms in just the way that can get the best benefits for you. I woulod always advise people to take them there to be completed.

Glenchass
I just got letter this morning saying I don't qualify for care or mobility.I'm pissed off!!
My pd really crap at the moment,tried having shower,couldnt even rub shampoo in,came back to room struggled putting clothes on,so havent bothered with socks.cant do my hair let alone makeup today.struggled to post office to cash giro,everyone in such a hurry trying to rush me.My hands were in extra slow motion,couldn't even put money in purse.Stopped in co op for basics had to sit down several times I came back to refuge in tears feeling a real idiot.
My driving has gone down hill to,using bus more.
Sorry for going on just so pissed off.
Hi Dotty
That really is bad news. I think you have to appeal. but do so with support from the PDS.
I know that its said to be a good thing to use the bus but with your children!
Anyway good luck.
Regards,
Weedy
Hello Dot , sorry to here you got no joy on your claim for DLA . Did you get help in filling it in or did you do it by your self, if it's the latter you need help to appeal . Contact PDS HELPLINE to find out who in in your area and they will advise you .Steph x